Forum home Tools and techniques

Leaky wooden greenhouse

My new greenhouse has numerous leaks, it is just a couple of weeks old, and is pressure treated (a must in Scotland). I am thinking of getting the silicone gun to it, does anyone have any advice on the best way to go about applying silicone? I am not sure if the greenhouse has vents, but it does have a opening side window. Thanks

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,161
    Hello @torradic, welcome to the forum. :) Did you install it yourself or get someone in? If the latter, maybe you could ask them to come back and do a bit of fixing. If not, my knowledge of silicon guns is non existent but there will definitely be someone here who will know!
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,173
    A new greenhouse should not have any leaks, let alone numerous leaks.
    I think you should speak to the maufcturers.

As for using silicone.
    I had an arbour installed in the summer and there was a very small gap at the apex.
    I used clear silicone on a very warm summer day when the wood was completely dry and it worked very well until a couple of weeks ago when I saw 3 magpies struggling with a long transparent worm on top of my arbour - they pulled the whole lot out!
    I put more down and I think it's still there
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Hi everyone,
    Many thanks for your replies & warm welcome.
    I got 2 mates (Father & Son, both Joiners) to install it for me, they said it was a bit 'gappy' when they put it up. I paid £649 for a 6 x 8 greenhouse. I will get back on to the retailer to see what can be done and ask my mates to pop back and check it out too.
    Hope the magpies keep their beaks to themselves if silicone is the end result.

Thanks again folks, much appreciated.