Forum home Garden design

Tallish tree for small garden suggestions!

Julia1983Julia1983 ShropshirePosts: 139
Hi all,

I was after a few suggestions for a new tree for our garden.... It's a rectangular plot about 10m wide by 6m deep. We already have a hawthorn 'Paul's scarlet'. The garden is overlooked by a property above (we are on a hill). There is only a bathroom window on that side of the property above so the garden is still pretty private but it does 'loom' a lot.. I wanted something quite tall to screen the property above but with a fairly open canopy, I was thinking silver birch but my husband would like a fruit tree. We were looking at Shropshire prune damson tree but I'm not sure if it fits the criteria of clear stem and open canopy. Anyone have a similar situation and any recommendations?  Much appreciated. 

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,343
    Apples are easier to prune to a specific shape than damsons. 

A fruiting tree - though not really a fruit tree - would be a cultivar of rowan with whatever colour berries you'd prefer - nice autumn colour to balance your spring blossoming hawthorn. Or amelanchier if your soil is heavy. Both have berries that can be used to make jelly, though not eat off the tree. Having said that, I've never managed to get to the amelanchier berries before the blackbirds.

“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,014
    I love Amelanchier ... the blossom is gorgeous and the autumn colour on ours has been amazing  B)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh