Forum home Fruit & veg

lemon tree

Hi all,
I've had a lemon tree for around 10 years now (variety unknown). When first bought it had numerous fruits on it and it continued to give fruit for a couple of years. I always moved it indoors for the winter months but it was never happy indoors- I was in a basement flat with not much light.
When I moved to a new place a few years ago, and having pruned it back,it was placed inside from October to around May in my conservatory but has never successfully produced fruit since- the tiny fruits turn brown and drop off. 
This year it is flowering abundantly on the old branches but the seedling fruits are still dropping off.
The pruned branches had new leaf growth but in the last few days they have grown to be 3-4 times the size of the leaves on the original growth. What am I doing wrong?
I feed it both summer and winter citrus food.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,118
    Big new leaves are good. They show that the plant is wanting to live and thrive.

Abundant flowers followed by dropping fruitlets always suggests to me that the tree knows that it can’t support so much fruit so it casts them off. Next time, try removing all but one of the baby fruitlets and see if the one remaining one hangs on.

Lemon trees like good light. Daylight. Can’t suggest how to get more other than buying a daylight bulb.

They aren’t really all that tender. Mine stay outside all year unless I see the first flower buds beginning to form. Then, if it’s threatening to get frosty I bring the tree in. If it’s mild I leave it out. They only stay indoors if there is a risk of the temperature dropping to lower than about 4°C.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I have a small lemon tree that I bought early in the year I need to keep it in my greenhouse over winter but greenhouse is unheated any suggestions on how to protect it at the moment its in the greenhouse withing a grow tent and covered with a fleece. 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,118
    Can you buy a small paraffin lamp for any really chilly days and nights?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,581
    Have a look at this infor form the RHS in case it helps - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/fruit/citrus
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw