Autumn Raspberry pruning

2»

• mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 197
    I personally don't think you have autumn bliss. Mine certainly never needed support or grew that big.

So that won't help that you have some reject unknown cultivar instead of a proven good cropper.

Then in first year yields will be poor.

But I can also see from your pictures that your plants are suffering from classic store bought multi purpose deficiencies. This can drastically reduce yield and encourage pests and disease which further reduces yield.

A lot of store bought soil, especially tomato bags I find have some nutrients for first couple of months that get washed out of the soil very easily. After that your soil is empty and leaves will turn yellow. Chicken or horse manure on the other hand releases nutrients into the soil over a 2 year period. Rotting vegetable matter roughly 1 year.

So you can see if you get store bought multi purpose with added nutrients is like getting supermarket cereal with added vitamins. All vitamins are removed in the processing first, then reinjected chemically.

You can add the nutrients back into the soil by adding Blood,Fish and Bone or chicken manure or soil enhancers. You will need to do this before next year. You can mulch it in around the roots of the plants.

• Martin105Martin105 Posts: 13
    Appreciate your response BobTheGardener, and don't doubt that that the fruiting season may be earlier this year. Kind of pointless to have autumn fruiting variety, fruiting mid summer. My main irritation, is the possibility that I may not actually be growing the Autumn Bliss variety. As stated earlier, just about all suppliers describe Autumn Bliss as more compact in height and needing little support. These would be lying horizontal without support of some sort
    Even accepting that for this year, the fruit might be earlier, I cant help thinking that I am trying to grow an unspecified variety.
    But for now, lets see what happens. I will post a few snaps at the start of the week
    Thanks for your observations mrtjforman. I am sort of thinking that maybe I do not have Autumn Bliss, more from the growth habit, than from its poor fruiting performance last year.
    I should say that the photos you are referring to were from November 2018, so that explains why the plants were looking long past their best. Even when they were looking ok, the fruit that grew, were only good for the birds
    I don't agree with you however on the compost issue. As you could tell from the photos, the plants were growing on a raised bed. This was well fortified with manure and top quality compost, months before plants were even bought.
    Plants were also given adequate feed during growing season, and as far as I could see, they grew well. In fact too well maybe, growing much taller than I had anticipated from that variety
    The fruiting part of the season, of course, did not go so well. Have followed similar feeding regime this year. Plants have multiplied, growing way too tall again, and some are starting to show ripened fruit, while the rest are now forming
    Can only wait and see what develops
    Thanks again for your input

• mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 197
    not sure it helped lol. If it makes you feel any better my favourite in the garden the Tayberry has turned all soapy tasting on me this year... Not sure what is going on there but it's not my favourite at the moment.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,267
    There are a lot of myths about autumn fruiting raspberries, such as they require little or no support, don’t grow too tall and the most obvious one that they fruit in Autumn. Most start fruiting in August, or July in good growing conditions. Like any plant, they take time to establish and the first year’s crop is always poor. The big advantage is the easy pruning, it’s that that distinguishes them from the earlier ‘summer’ varieties.

My new Joan J, meant to be a shorter variety needing no support (ha!) have easily reached 6ft and flopped. I have Autumn Bliss too - the same! Too much feeding will also make them grow tall and leafy at the expense of fruit.

As to whether they are Autumn Bliss, difficult to say, but AB’s berries are generally a little rounder and less of an elongated, cone shape than others. 

Thanks Nollie 
    I think if you grow both summer and autumn fruiting varieties, you might expect that there will be two fruiting periods. That's what they are sold as by every supplier, whether by nurseries that specialize in soft fruit plants, or your local garden centre. I suppose that gardeners who want to have a prolonged fruiting period, grow both Summer and Autumn varieties to achieve this. That.s assuming of course they don.t start fruiting at the same time, which you are suggesting. 

If the earlier varieties are late and later varieties are early..etc

Its a given, that plant growth has multiple factors, therefore flowering and fruiting, can all be unpredictable
    What I can say, is that when I decided to grow raspberries recently, my main considerations were, variety based on fruiting season, and how tall they were likely to grow. That is why Autumn Bliss was selected

There will be some benefit however, if my autumn plants have decided to become summer ones. 
    This will be the final season for these plants, so whatever the quality of the crop, if it happens to be much earlier, then the sooner I can clear the site.
    Lessons are always being learnt

Appreciate all you have said and thanks again for your observations