Forum home The potting shed

Have a Giggle

• PhaidraPhaidra Posts: 405
    Congratulations, just a few... decades later!
    Did you inform them that the reason a virus mutates is because it's trying to... survive?  Seventeen year olds know so much! 
  • Artemis3Artemis3 Posts: 543
    I think you're referring to your daughter's interview?
    Mercifully, we had no reason to discuss a single virus or bacterium.  Lucky for me!
  • PhaidraPhaidra Posts: 405
    :)
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,513
    what a shame that people are judged by the way that they speak and that, in some situations, correct grammar is inappropriate.
    What if the poor bugger was a toff that had fallen on hard times and had forgotten to use the vernacular appropriate to his current station in life? ( pun intended)
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Artemis3Artemis3 Posts: 543
    I, probably, didn't explain it adequately, B; the man was, actually, mocking my mother by imitating her speech.
  • Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 602
    It seemed to me clear enough, Artemis, that the man was being sarcastic.  One meets such rude characters at times!
  • Sam 37Sam 37 Posts: 762
    It was equally clear to me too that the one who did the "judging" was the guard who, moreover, displayed such appalling manners to a passenger.
  • It's possible the guard was just joking?   And didn't mean it with any malice?

I have a very working-class accent.   The look of bemusement on the faces of others when I use 'one' is very amusing.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,513
    @Artemis3. He was obviously a cad and a bounder😉
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Zoe P2Zoe P2 Posts: 365
    It is a sad fact that rude people exist and some people resent others simply because they dress or speak in "better" ways.
    On Friday 23 of November, I was walking home from my local pharmacy.  It was bin-day, so there were bins galore...adorning the pavements. 
    I saw a lady, well dressed, speaking with the received pronunciation and using a standard register, asking one of the men not to throw her bins on the pavement but leave them where they'd found them. 
    He walked away and, rather loudly, responded, "la-di-da!"
    It's not 1985 and, yet, it still happens.

I have a dream that my.. children.. one day.. will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character

Martin Luther King