Forum home The potting shed

Have a Giggle

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,333
    What the heck is wrong with a summer dress on a summers day?!  I sometimes despair ... the way we expect minor royals to behave is inhuman ... enough to make me espouse republicanism (if it weren’t for the risk of electing a trump!!! :o)

Perhaps, ‘for everyone’s happiness’ the Daily Mail et al need to leave them alone ... she’s hardly of any more relevance in the scheme of things than Tim Lawrence is. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 15,443
    Tim Lawrence is totally irrelevant to me. I had to Google him. However, I have heard of Ms Markle who ,apparently, is nothing to do with Agatha Christie but is known for wearing clothes in public. I understand that she may have done something inappropriate on a balcony. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    edited November 2018
    B3 said:
    Tim Lawrence is totally irrelevant to me. I had to Google him....
    My point exactly. It's nothing to do with being royal ... it's to do with being a woman  :/   All this unpleasant hoo haa is another example of the anti-female bias of large sections of the British press. To mis-quote Wild Bill Hickock"... It seems to me that Prince Harry was on the other end of that kissing thing..."

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,672
    Could it not be more than the anti woman bias, but the horror of some sections of the press about a black woman marrying into the royal family.
    Walk out to winter, swear I'll be there.
    Chill will wake you, high and dry
    You'll wonder why.
    edited November 2018
    punkdoc said:
    Could it not be more than the anti woman bias, but the horror of some sections of the press about a black woman marrying into the royal family.
    It may well be that too @punkdoc (I'd totally forgotten about that) .... the Great British Press are well versed in how to manipulate the Great British Public :#

• Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 597

The “survey”, to which you have referred, Sam, is, I think, one of those polls carried out by YouGov, which consistently show that Kate is more liked than Meghan Markle, whilst Harry is very often the most liked royal. 

The reasons may be plainly obvious to some but, it would seem, rather arcane to others.  It is, I believe, generally recognised by the public, a royal has undoubted privileges but behind those always lie some obligations.  Perhaps her, not so infrequent, overt disregard for royal sartorial propriety doesn’t help to endear her to royalists.

Of course, in hot weather royals do wear summer clothes, befitting the occasion and their own status as people who belong to the British Royal Family:

One hopes she will be helped to understand.  But, if her husband is as uxorious as it is reported, one has to be pragmatic in relation to any early expectations....
  • Artemis3Artemis3 Posts: 543

Hi Helen, your use of “one” , reminded me of an incident involving my mother. 

It was early December in 1985.  On that particular day, I had an interview in London, and arranged to meet my mother, who was doing some Christmas shopping there with her sister, at London Bridge Station. 

She rather forgot all about the time and fearing she was going to be late, dashed in to the nearby Goodge Street Underground Station and asked the first employee she’d met at the entrance, “ How does one get to London Bridge from here?” 

The man replied, “One takes the Northern Line.”  

When we’d met, she apologised for being a bit late and when she’d recovered a little she thought of the would-be snooty tone the guard had employed when answering her question: “One takes the Northern Line.” 

To this day, we all use those words and laugh when we say “one” instead of the more usual, “you”!   :D

• Well done, Artemis! ;)
  • PhaidraPhaidra Posts: 404
    Hi Artemis, I imagine the guard thought your mother was a.. "toff"!  :D:D:D
    Did you get the job?
  • Artemis3Artemis3 Posts: 543
    Hi Phaidra,
    obviously, poor man!
    It was not a job interview; it was for university admission, and, yes, I was offered a place.  :)