Forum home The potting shed

Have a Giggle

• PhaidraPhaidra Posts: 405
    How true, Danae!
    However, the Greek word "austerity", means "strictness" though  we use it to mean, I think, thriftiness; which isn't exactly the same, perhaps.
  • Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 602
    I don't know what austerity means but I do know exactly how it feels. :(
  • Sam 37Sam 37 Posts: 762
    I can't quite believe that so soon after her wedding, she's already the subject of very negative comments by young and old.
    At about 4pm today, I was travelling home by train.  Along the way, many secondary school boys and girls hopped on. 
    One such group of six or seven 15-16 year old girls, were in the middle of a heated "discussion" as to why "Meg Markle" is less liked than Kate by the people, according to some survey or other- I didn't quite catch which one.  Some were saying that's because she doesn't understand what it means to be a member of the British Royal family; she looks as if she dresses for the catwalk(!!).  Others thought there was nothing "genuine" about her.
    I had previously thought that it was mostly older people, especially ladies, who called her an "actress" implying much...
    Who would be a "princess" today?
    O, dear!  I don't think there's anything so heated as the arguments of teenagers, especially girls, on any subject!
    However, I do think we have all noticed her "edgy" dress style...

• PhaidraPhaidra Posts: 405
    I can't help thinking that her "embarrassing" sense of dress, probably... banished her from the Queen's balcony on Remembrance Sunday!

• Zoe P2Zoe P2 Posts: 365
    It's rather obvious, I think, that she hasn't yet understood she's no longer a C-Lister, needing to promote her talents but married to the Queen's grandson and, when out in public, she represents the British Royal Family, and by extension, the British People.
    When I first saw her c'leby behaviour, I thought, why isn't she given appropreate advice, so she can stop being an embarrassement; but, apparently, Harry told the staff, "What Meghan wants, Meghan gets(!!)," so they have been leaving one after the other; which has been described as a "stampede".
    Perhaps she needs to look at Kate and learn royal propriety and attention to detail?

I have a dream that my.. children.. one day.. will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character

Martin Luther King

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,499
    Oh no ... someone please save me from the tedium of judgemental scrutiny of Royal wardrobes

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,710
    edited November 2018
    I am fascinated by how much the posters "know" about our royal family.
    When I was last speaking to Harry, he said everything was hunky dory and his granma and Megan got on like a house on fire.
    Also sorry to lower the tone [ if that is possible ], I think she is fit.
    Walk out to winter, swear I'll be there.
    Chill will wake you, high and dry
    You'll wonder why.
    Hi Dove, I trust you agree that we all use judgement, i.e. become "judgemental", when we decide to do or refrain from doing anything.
    I know the duchess's "edgy" dressing has been all over the media, from radio to tweeter, sometimes because it's very chick and sometimes because it's inappropriate. 
    We, in Britain, have lived with royalty all our lives and know that royals don't go on official tours/events, etc. dressed as if they were going to the beach, or to a private tea party.  
    Even we, lesser mortals, try to respect that code.  That's the reason, I think, that not one of us would go to church in a bikini. 
  • Zoe P2Zoe P2 Posts: 365
    Though, of course, we don't entirely believe the press, especially the tabloids, however, certain events seem to confirm that she's been causing unhappiness: the balcony incident, staff leaving, removal from London, among a few others.
    I think the country felt happy that Harry'd found love again, but, it would seem, she's occasionally disappointed royal supporters.
    Perhaps for everyone's happiness, she needs to fit in a bit better: a little less flesh exposed in public, and not such "theatrical" kisses.  Making a meal out of a kiss in public might speak much less of love and much more of... manners.  
    She does chic well, so, no doubt, she will get there and we will all stop... worrying(!) about what's happening to our royal family, unless Harry continues to state, "What Meghan wants, Meghan gets." (!)
    Of course, there are always those who believe, nothing's wrong with royalty behaving like "commoners".
    Perhaps.

I have a dream that my.. children.. one day.. will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character

Martin Luther King