Bird feeders

Was thinking about cleaning bird feeders but on G/W site said use Veterinary Disinfectant ,
well that’s not very practical, so would normal washing up liquid do ? Any surgestion welcome  

• We wash ours in warm/hot soapy water, as long as they are de-gunged I think that is the best that most of us can do.  Disinfectant in the water is preferred, but do give the feeders a good rinse before they are left to dry.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,256
    Dishwasher if OH is out playing golf and can't see what I'm up to or else a good soak in hot soapy water and then a scrub and a rinse.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,674
    Hot soapy water for me [ well- the feeders ] and then a rinse with a tiny drop of 'normal 'disinfectant and hot water, or just hot water.
    And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,157
    Hot soapy water and a bottlebrush for me (kept solely for cleaning the feeders. You can buy bird safe disinfectant but I thought it's expensive. Fortunately the feeders I've got (and they were expensive!) are very easy to clean as the bottom twists off so you can soak them in a small bucket.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 6,359
    Thanks for all your comment , looks like , hot soapy water with a tiny drop of disinfectant and a good rinse afterwards is the way to do it  
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,051

Fairygirl said:
    Hot soapy water for me [ well- the feeders ] and then a rinse with a tiny drop of 'normal 'disinfectant and hot water, or just hot water.

I thought the clue was in the name, Fairy.....sorry wash my mouth out with soap....get my coat.

Generally I only use hot soapy water and rinse and dry feeders.

Then if you feel it is needed use a disinfecting /sanitizing solution.
    It does not have to be a veterinary or special product. :)
    (We used to use F10 disinfectant because we used it for other things.
    It actually is quite cost effective buying a bottle of concentrate if you are going to use it).

However using a household bleach or disinfectant after a thorough soap wash to remove all debris/grease is cheap and effective if used as per the manufacturers instructions.
    Use the instructions for disinfecting for worktop surfaces, or to sanitize use the dilution rates for e.g. dishcloth soaking.
    If you feel more comfortable use Milton perhaps, as a "baby" product rather than what is perceived as a "toilet" bleach.  They are similar/same things just, well ya know
    Sorry for the brand names there are others available.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,390
    I just use ordinary hot soapy water and maybe a dash of disinfectant once in a while.
    I doubled up on my feeders so I can take one down for cleaning and put a fresh one up straight away.
    The dirty one is cleaned and then hung in the garage until I swap over next cleaning day!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 885
    Just what I have done today @madpenguin. Otherwise taking the empty ones home to wash would mean they would be a day without food. Cost me but it's all in a good cause  :)