Forum home Tools and techniques

greenhouse

Is it advisable to insulate greenhouse roof as wells walls?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,809
    Yes. More heat goes out of the roof, heat rises.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Thank you I was concerned about condensation really but will go ahead with the roof insulation. Heres to a moderate winter. Kneedeep
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,759
    You can buy bubble wrap off big roles in good DIY and garden centres.  Just measure what you need to cover the sides and roof in either one or two pieces depending on how you will attach it and then another piece or 3 to do each end and the door.  It won't create any more condensation than glass panels but it will give you some insulation against the worst weather and on mild days you can still open up and ventilate.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,875
    Wrap as  much as much as possible, we dont get condensation
  • I insulate my 6' X 4' greenhouse each autumn (Just done it.) with bubble wrap and it works really well and with no condensation.  I found some easy to use brackets and press-on pegs to suspend the bubble wrap with at my local garden centre.  I couldn't insulate the door inside as it would prevent it opening but I am still able to keep warmth in and maintain the temperature with a small thermostatically controlled electric heater.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,835
    For a sliding door or one that opens outwards, you can hang a "curtain" of bubble wrap on the inside. 
  • Thanks for all replies. I am considering bubble wrapping my cold frame too, to store geraniums in. I never have much luck over winter with geraniums sadly. 
  • I'm guessing you mean pelargoniums, not the hardy ones! They can take some cold if they are kept fairly dry.  They are likely to succumb to rot if cold and damp. I've never tried it but you are supposed to be able to store them in a shed or garage, dry rooted: 

• Method 3 might be your best bet.

• ILikeSpringILikeSpring Posts: 1
    edited November 2018
    I have been using bubble insulation for years, and leaving the door uninsulated. I had thought about hanging a sheet of bubble insulation on the inside behind the door, but thought it would be awkward when going in and out. So, this year I have bought a sheet of polycarbonate twin wall, 4mm thick, and attached that to the double sliding doors (the supplier cut the sheet into two pieces so that they fit behind the glass with minimal gaps).