Japanese Maple no leaves left

NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,031
Do they shed all of their leaves now as mine is bald
Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 4,503
    Yes they do. Mine was a glorious shade of red, got a couple of windy days last week and they all vanished.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,031
    I suspected it was "Stupid Question Number 12 " but thought I would just check
    Ta
    Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 14,101
    You need to failiarise yourself with two words - deciduous and evergreen.   Japanese maples are deciduous.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Julia1983Julia1983 ShropshirePosts: 19
    Mine all went a few weeks back, but have seen a few older specimens still with lots of leaves left in the same area...(same type... Dissectum?)  Ours isn't in a windy spot so I hypothesised that it might be due to it being younger, or getting scorched this summer when we went on holiday for three weeks and it got minimal neighbour watering.....(It is pot grown). I'm sure it will pop back in spring, they are delightful trees. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 10,685
    edited 8 November
    I expect he knows the words deciduous and evergreen, just didn’t know what category the acer fell in.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. 
  • 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 7,647
    We’re you a Miss Trunchbull in a former life Obelixx ?   

Your answers to some new posters come over as very condescending at times.   
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 1,610
    No worries @NewBoy2 , l suspect we've all covered stupid questions from 1 to 100 in our time !  :)
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 14,101
    I did some work at the British Women's Club garden in Brussels which included planting trees and shrubs.  The committe appointed to oversee the garden transformation asked me what tree I was planting and then asked me what deciduous meant.

It's a basic garden term and if, as I suspect, New Boy2 is keen to learn, there are a few basic terms with which he needs to be familiar in order to understand answers here and also how plants work.  Annual, biennial, herbaceous perennial, bulb and corm are others that will prove useful.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 1,419
    Another basic term @NewBoy2 will have to learn is "wildlife", as he wrongly posted his question in the Wildlife section of this forum rather than in the Plants section where it belonged. ;)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,245
    Think most of us access the forum via Recent Posts so its not a problem if posts crop up in ‘wrong’ places ... we still find them  :)
    However I do appreciate your urge to keep things orderly @PapiJo ... I’ve a stash of paperwork on my desk that needs filing ... any chance that you have a few hours free today or tomorrow? ;)
    "Oh, for the good old days when people would stop Christmas shopping when they ran out of money."  Anon