Seaweed

Good day I an new to this site so please forgive me if this is in the wrong place.  My question is how do you use seaweed in the garden?. Can it go on the compost heap?. Do you dig it in or spread it on the soil and can you trench it for runner beans?  Any  advice would be most helpful.  KJ 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,916
    It's great in the compost heap as long as you mix it in well, it can go a bit sludgy otherwise. I've used it for mulch around sprouts and then dug it into the soil in the spring and that seemed to work well. Different seaweeds break down differently though. The green stuff seems to disappear a lot quicker than the thick brown stuff. Great stuff for the garden though if you've got a handy source for it.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,357
    I wash and dry it, then chop it up with the lawnmower. Then it can either go in the compost heap, or soak to make a tea in the same way as comfrey tea.  It can be used direct  as a mulch around potatoes. Just strew the stuff around on the surface after planting the tubers.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3