Forum home Problem solving

Pruning a mature Hibiscus

My Hibiscus has just had its very best year of flowering
It has become quite leggy and has never been pruned
The upshot is that when the seed pods develop they weigh the plant down to the point of breaking the branches.
I'd like to prune it but am worried about the effect that may have on next year's flowering. So have decided to prune just a few branches. Before I do, can an anyone offer me advice on how, when and where to prune..? Leaves seem to arise straight out of the bark so it's not even obvious where nodes or buds are. Helllp!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    I wouldn't prune it all just now except to remove any obvioulsy broken or diseased stems and any that are crossing and may rub and cause damage in strong winds.   Do that soon so wounds can heal before frosts get in.

Wait till spring and then shorten the longest by a third to a half and remove one third of the stems to their base.  Choose the oldest looking one so that you renew the vigour of the plant with new young growth.  Stand back after each big cut to make sure you improve the shape and don't leave it looking distorted.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Many thanks...much appreciated. I will do as you say.
    Although this tree has only one stem/trunk.
    Love the quote BTW
    Sixty tomorrow and not quite raging at the dying of the light!
    Nic
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    Once you get past 60 you are officially 27 forever - on here anyway.  Lots of us about.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  •  B)