Forum home Plants

Orchid Plantlet

My orchid has grown a plantlet, which is growing on a stem.  I am hoping I may be able to propogate a new plant from this. Can anyone assist with what the best way to try to do this would be?

• No replies....

Has anyone ever seen an orchid with one of these shoots growing on it? Just wondering how common they are.  Mine is quite an old orchid, around 7 years old, so I'm not sure if that is why it grew this shoot.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,862
    It looks like it is sending up a flowering shoot. I would feed it once a week with orchid feed, but leave it be.   If it sends out aerial roots, it can be separated and potted on.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,447
    I would try misting it daily, If it grows some roots then you can cut it off and pot it on.
  • Thanks for your advice.  Sounds like care and patience is the way forward.
  • Jilly5Jilly5 Posts: 11
    My orchid grew a baby, I waited till some aerial roots appeared and then cut it off. I planted the baby in a small pot in orchid compost. After one year it is growing slowly but looks healthy 
  • Thanks Jilly5.  Did you do anything to encourage roots to grow, or did they just happen?