Forum home Tools and techniques

How often do you clean your tools?

How often do you clean your gardening tools and with what? Do you store them away in winter? Basically, I want to know how to maintain and keep them in good condition (something, I confess I am not currently good at!) . Thank you.  :)

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,625
    Don't tell anybody, but I have never EVER cleaned my gardening tools. I do wash pots, though.
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,994
    I wipe my tools with a cloth and spray any moving parts with WD40 after every use, ( other sprays are available )
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160
    ditto as Posy. Mine don't get put away for winter, that's when they get most use
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,197
    My answer would be : not very often, although they get the mud and muck wiped off, and moving parts gets oiled now and again.
    No pot washing either- apart from a token rinse out occasionally if I'm potting something on and then replacing that plant with another  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,361
    I like spades and forks to be cleaned of mud and muck because it makes them last longer and I occasionally oil the handle on the fork when I know it's going to have a rest.  Same with my hand fork and newer Sneeboer trowel because they're decent tools.

I like to keep secateurs clean and oiled too and I've even been known to sharpen them.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,143
    I've never ever cleaned any garden tools beyond scraping mud off with my boot. 
    I've never ever washed a plant pot either
    I , very occasionally , spray my secateurs with WD40.
    Devon.
    edited November 2018
    Bit of a slut on the quiet Hosta?

Actually, not that quiet.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Clean mine after every use, then sharpen if necessary, use an oily rag on metal parts, oil moving parts and use a linseed oil rag on timber parts. :blush:
    If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,143
    Obelixx said:
    Bit of a slut on the quiet Hosta?

Actually, not that quiet.   
    I've worked long and hard to acquire the reputation of a slut  and I wear the badge with considerable pride.
    Devon.
    We know, Hosta.

GB - I find linseed oil is sticky so I just use kitchen oil such as rapeseed or grapeseed.  Teak oil for the table.