Hedgehog nest in border?

AlchemistAlchemist OxfordPosts: 117
edited November 2018 in Wildlife gardening
Dear all,
I was doing some clearing and noticed a mound of dried leaves in the middle of a perennial border. Was a bit strange at first....but without thinking, as I started to clear, I noticed a hedgie’s leg. So quickly covered it all up. Can folks please let me know, what I should or should not be doing. Is this a nest or just some sort of a a chill out zone? Have never seen a hedgehog before in the wild/native habitat, so have no idea of their behavior or habits. Also is a perennial border not a bad place to build a nest given its going to come down in winter? For starters, I’ve decided not to cut anything or clear away stuff within 2-3meter of this guy/girl until come spring..... thanks!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 51,379
    It sounds as if a hedgehog has made a hibernaculum in your border to pass the winter in. We found a similar one in our garden a few years ago ... unfortunately we’d already disturbed it before we realised so we put the hog and it’s dried leaves etc and a load of dry hay etc in a sturdy box on its side in a sheltered spot close to where we found it and left well alone. It must’ve been ok cos we still have hedgehogs visiting for meatbased cat biscuits and water every evening.

I think you should simply leave ‘your’ hedgehog to get on with it ... but if you don’t already it would be a good idea to make a feeding station so that when he/she wakes during mild spells in the winter he can tuck in and keep his weight up, which is the important thing for them to survive the winter. 

You can can find out lots of stuff about helping our endangered hedgehogs on the Hedgehog Street website. 

Good luck to you you and your hedgehog  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,265
    How lovely Alchemist. I'd do as Dove suggests, and just keep an eye out for him/her re the feeding station over winter. It's best to have a little box with an opening of some kind that cats can't get into, or they'll just eat the food. Foxes as well if you have them. 

I've spent ages making a 5 star hotel for the ones that arrived in my garden in summer. The b*ggers have ignored it and have possibly found another hidey hole for the winter. Ungrateful s*ds!  :D
    I bought a wildlife camera recently, so I'm hoping they'll return and I might get some footage next year. Lovely to have had them  visiting though. 
    Oh the devil in me said, go down to the shed
    I know where I belong

• AlchemistAlchemist OxfordPosts: 117
    Many thanks @Dovefromabove and @Fairygirl for your replies. Ill get on the website to find out more. This is the first time Ive seen a hedgehog. As we live in an urban area with houses all around, didnt expect him to be here. So I dont have a feeding station. However we do have a fair share of snails and slugs so guess that has kept him busy. Ill be leaving some food/water as you suggest and keep an eye on the little guy. A wild life camera seems like a good idea too. Will think of getting one and will keep this updated here :).

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 3,040
    That's good news @Alchemist ! It may be that if the weather gets really bad, he or she may decide to move somewhere more sheltered. Have you got any hedges or somewhere more sheltered that may fit the bill? If you have, don't move hoggy, but you could put a pile of leaves in that location as a sort of hint. If you are any good at wordwork you could make (or buy !) a hedgehog house. He or she is obviously gaining access from somewhere, are there any gaps under fences or gates that you can see? As Dove says, the BHPS website is a mine of information  :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,265
    A simple plastic box with a hog sized hole at one end will suffice for a feeding station. Most supermarkets and diy stores have them for a few quid, or one of the cheapo shops if you have them. You can put a brick or something on top to keep it from being turned over by bigger animals, and a bit of greenery or similar to disguise it a bit. Any suitable shallow dish can be used for the food. I used a lid from an ice cream tub  :)
    Oh the devil in me said, go down to the shed
    I know where I belong

• AlchemistAlchemist OxfordPosts: 117
    Many thanks for all your advice. Always comforting to hear from people with 1st hand experience :) 

I have got some dog biscuits and cat food. Will be cutting a hole in a wooden crate you get from wine shops and leave it close to him for the feeding station, using a pot saucer as his plate..It’s big enough that he can move there. We’ve also got a leilandi hedge and he can move there if he wants to. Afraid I may distress him by moving etc. If at all, I may make a meter long roof from poly carbonate lying around nailed to half stakes and shift the whole structure over where he lives. The ground is soft enough that I can stably push this in without causing a racquet. Will keep you all posted. Thanks.