Forum home Tools and techniques

Stratification

edited November 2018 in Tools and techniques
Hi I really need some advice on how to stratify my trees. The instructions that came with the seeds say place in fridge for 5 to 8 weeks for all five types but when I searched the internet it gives differences in the amount of times they need to be in the fridge per type.

According to the internet per tree species I need to...

The Larch(larix leptolepis) needs to have 6 weeks.
The Pine( Pinus Halepensis) 3 to 4 weeks. Sweet gum 30 days.
Chinese Redbud 5 to 8 weeks. 
The Juniper needs 12 weeks in a warm place and 12 weeks in the fridge.

So my question is which instructions do I follow. The ones that came with the trees or the internet? I also was told they need three months in cold storage so I'm very confused as to what to do with my seeds at the moment. I thank you for all the advice in advance.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,177
    Generally , hardy tree seeds can be sown in pots, covered with grit and left outside or in a cold frame for the winter. They then germinate in spring.  If the "sweet gum" is a eucalyptus, they germinate best after fire, something in the smoke sets them going. I managed it by putting some wood ash in water and watering the pots with that.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,361
    Cunning Fidget!   Agree about the pots and winter exposure.  Much easier than using the fridge - something which undergardeners don't always appreciate anyway.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,143
    I think "sweet gum" is the common name of Liquidambar.
    Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,569
    Always best to use ‘Nature’s  Own’  put them out for the winter, will get cold by themselves.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.