Forum home Plants

Roses - how to grow from seed

GrajeanGrajean Posts: 442
I have collected several hips from my various roses, is it easy to grow plants from the seeds?

• MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,629
    edited November 2018
    Some are easy if the seeds are viable, not all of them are... and it's best to stratify them first I think, in a fridge for 6 weeks before sowing.. or if taken from the plant in January/Feb then they may already have got cold enough... this is not something I get into that often but here's one I grew this Spring,.. I sowed 3 seeds, 2 germinated, one died and this was the sole survivor... 

4th May..

..by this Autumn it has grown into a rambler type, quite vigorous and likely to be somewhat rampant.. also probably a once bloomer, so I'm doubtful as to whether I shall keep it, but I'll see next year when I hope to get some blooms... I expect they will be pinky/orange... maybe white.. but I'm excited to find out..

.October..

[the yellow rose behind is a different variety]..

...it's fun to have a go.. best of luck...
    East Anglia, England
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,629
    I should add, when I say you can take the seeds in Jan / Feb this is if you have a reasonably mild winter... if temps drop below about -7C then the seeds may not be viable at that time....also the seeds I think are best sown in Feb/Mar... from what I gather..
    East Anglia, England
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,574
    If you take the seeds now, wash the sticky flesh off in a fine sieve,and dry on kitchen paper.  Then sow on the surface of multipurpose compost. Cover with fine grit, water , and then leave outside in a sheltered corner. They germinate in Spring. Separate out the seedlings next Autumn and pot on.
     Remember that unless they are species roses, they will probably not be the same as the parent plant.