Cooks' corner

ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 14,142
This thread is for people who like to cook but have questions or tips to share.

Mine is Parkin.   Bonfire night on Monday and it's traditional fr we northerenrs to have Parkin si I thought I'd make some today as it needs a few days to mature before I take it to patchwork on Monday.  I was thinking of laying some pear halves on top of the batter to lighten it a bit but will they keep well too?   Or should I stck with the original?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 426

Parkin, yum! I feel a baking session coming on.

My apple cake is best eaten within a day or so of making, otherwise it gets a bit soggy (still tastes fine, but a bit messy to eat).  Not sure if pears in parkin would be the same though.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 14,142
    That's good to know Jenny.  Thanks.  Maybe I should just do Parkin and then a pear and ginger cake next time.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    You got me wondering if maybe putting slices of fruit on a tray in a low oven to dry out a bit before putting them in a cake might work.  I quite fancy parkin with apples now :p .
    Experiment?
    I'll see if I have time over the weekend!
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 4,512
    My autumn delight is a Finnish apple cake. It's one of those that is always a one off because there are so many variables (rum, kirsh, brandy, muscovado, demerara, blueberries). It's always a nice surprise. It's best eaten warm out of the oven. Possibly with thick double cream, if that's your thing.
    Sounds lovely but not so good for taking to Patchwork group then.  I  have to leave the house at 1:15 to get there and we have tea and coffee break at 4pm.   Cakes that can mayture a day or 3 are really good or else little muffins, cup cakes or biscuits that I can whip up in the morning.
    I've googled.  Can't find a recipe for Finnish apple cake that uses booze........
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 4,512
    edited 1 November
    Ah, my own adaptations from a Finnish friend. I can mail it to you if you're interested.
    Yes please - or put it on here for everyone to share?