Returfing garden

Hi everyone

We have hired a landscaper to returf our garden. he has just taken up part of the old lawn, in patches and strips, but almost 50% remains. I queried it with him, as I expected all the old turf to be removed. He said it will be done to a high standard, but didn't confirm that all the old lawn will be removed. I suspect he may be planning to rotavate it in, to save time. Is this acceptable?

I have added a photo of part of the lawn where turf cutting has taken place. It looks a very poor job.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,938
    How did he remove the turf @fidget1to99 ? Did he use a machine or a spade ? It looks very bitty, and l would have expected a section to be cleared at a time. Where did you find him, did he come recommended ? End of questions for now  :)  
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,493
     There's more green grass there than my lawn had at the end of this last summer  :D (It's recovering though).
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,631
    I would want it all clearing before rotovating. If you rotovate it in, it will all rot down, but the levels may sink over time, and you will have an uneven lawn.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    Now you say that Jenny, it does remind me of the state of our lawn at the end of the summer ! Seriously though, it's not good.
  • jamesharcourtjamesharcourt West SussexPosts: 354
    I'd expect it all to be gone, personally.  But like you say, he might bring a machine in to pull up, but I'd be quite straight-up about it.
  • Thanks for the responses. He used a turf cutter. I've seen them used in videos and on TV, but they usually remove all the turf, not just patches of it.
  • Main reason I am worried, I had a large border cut out of lawn a couple of years ago and the guy just turned the turf upside down and covered it with a couple of inches of soil. It was impossible to dig through even after many months, and nothing would grow in it, except shallow rooted weeds.

I got this landscaper through good reviews on the net, and on facebook. 
    When is he coming back ? Sorry. all l seem to do is ask questions ! Have you seen some of the other work he has done, as l am not on Facebook, l don't know if that's possible. I haven't used a turf cutter,  but l'd expect them to clear the grass better than that. I would have thought that digging the grass in wouldn't really help, usually l lift the turves and stack them upside down to rot down.
  • fidget1to99fidget1to99 Posts: 11
    edited October 2018
    He is coming back tomorrow, and reckons they will get half the new turf down tomorrow, and the rest Thursday, maybe running into Friday. 400 rolls of turf, and most of the old lawn is still in place!

We said we wanted a good job, as the previous job was a bodge job and developed dips and hollows and that's why we are doing this again. In his written quote he says the old lawn will be removed and taken away. We are paying thousands for this work but we want it done properly so we don't have to repeat a third time.

Thanks for the tips and advice.
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,622
    I would be worried as well they should of removed all the turf, I've done quite a bit of turfing and I've always removed the existing grass. They may of rented the turf cutter and needed to take it back is the only excuse I can think of, it wouldn't take long to remove what left with a shovel / spade. 

Word of mouth from friends - neighbours - relatives the best way to find the best / reliable gardeners / landscapers or any job really.