Forum home Wildlife gardening

Does this tree need support?

Hi, I’ve just taken down some leylandii type conifers next to my house. I left some of the trunks in as places for birds to perch and plan to grow ivy up them for the birds. In amongst the conifers there was this sycamore which has grown by chance. Up til now it has been protected from wind etc by the other trees around it but now it is more exposed is there anything I can do to help it? Competition for light and water/nutrients has just gone down, which is a plus for it but it’s a bit gangly as it has been growing up to try to get out of the shade. 
Thanks, Joe

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869
    I'd take that out as well, it's not a garden tree any more than a huge conifer is.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,251
    nutcutlet said:
    I'd take that out as well, it's not a garden tree any more than a huge conifer is.

I agree with Nut ... take it out. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    Have to agree with the others, that tree will never look good.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • Fair enough. Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions for an alternative?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,567
    That depends on what you want from a tree - size, shape, stem or leaf colour, blossom, fruits - as well as where you are and what soil you have and if your garden is sheltered or exposed.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    edited October 2018
    in answer to your question 'does it need supporting' no, it needs removing, unless you want a tree larger than your house in few years.
    i'd also remove the stumps and not bother with ivy, as if you want ivy to grow, it won't (it only seems to grow where you don't want it!) and plant some nice shrubs instead, as they're more likely to attract birds and will be far more attractive than an ivy covered stump
    if you're wanting a tree in that location, how close is it to your house?
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,009
    edited October 2018
    @joe.shimmin as said above, shrubs may be a better option, certainly wildlife friendly. Is it a sunny site ? Once you've got rid of the stumps and roots, the soil will be fit for nothing, so you will need to do some preparation before replanting. 
  • OK, great, I’ll remove the tree and the stumps and prepare the ground for planting. I take it that means manure? 
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,009
    You can use manure - have a look at this for advice, and l daresay there will be more on here in a bit !
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=237
  • Paul NPaul N Bearsted, KentPosts: 303
    Our last garden had a number of 30ft high Sycamores along one border - utterly dreadful things. They put half of the garden in shade, shed tons of leaves in the autumn and trillions of sycamore seedlings in the spring. They have no place in a garden IMO.