Forum home Problem solving

How to fill in a pothole?

2»

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    edited October 2018
    it says its for outdoor use, but i don't believe it for a second, the first frosts and it'll blow apart
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,988
    I should have mentioned that r'girl,  about the wet and wintery weather affecting it etc. I expect it depends how bad the hole is is, how fair the weather is in the coming weeks, and whether it's worth leaving till a more suitable time.  :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 23,634
    You're probably right @treehugger80 but I'm going to use it inside when I get round to it - sometime
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,614
    it says its for outdoor use, but i don't believe it for a second, the first frosts and it'll blow apart
    Some of the outdoor repair compounds contain epoxy which is supposed to prevent that. It all depends how long this repair is really intended to last.
    Some people bring joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go. - Mark Twain.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,198
    Interesting comments - thanks. I'm hoping to have the drive done next year (although OH hasn't yet agreed!!!) so the pothole fix really just has to last the winter. I wouldn't normally bother but of course it's developed just where we drive in and out so getting to be a nuisance which I don't want to get worse. I'll try the Postcrete first as I've used that before.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,614
    Lizzie27 said:
     I'll try the Postcrete first as I've used that before.
    "Postcrete may not be used for general concreting, screeds, mortar, grout or render.

If a particular compressive strength is required, Postcrete should not be used"

I'd stick to the repair concrete, it works the same but will take the weight of cars and should be more frost proof.

https://tarmac-bluecircle.co.uk/product/repair-concrete/

Some people bring joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go. - Mark Twain.
    Thanks Wild Edges, I'll see if I can get hold of some.
    HOW NOT TO FILL IN A POTHOLE!  I couldn't get hold of the Blue Circle concrete repair stuff so was recommended a can of UCan concrete repair by the B& Q manager. This morning being about 12C sunny and dry I read the instructions and started filling it in.
    I'd just finished smoothing the top when I accidently kicked over the small jug of water I'd put nearby in case I needed extra. Being on a slope, it ran all over the concrete mix. I threw some hort,sand all over it to try and soak up the water but fear it's ruined and I'll have to do it all over again. Talk about live and learn! 
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,202
    edited November 2018
    As long as the hole was dry before you filled it, water over the surface afterwards probably won't be a problem. Concrete will set when totally submerged on the sea bed. In fact water isn't a problem at all, as long as it stays as water and not ice (or steam, but that's unlikely, even with global warming). Ice is bigger than water and it WILL expand - it's immensely powerful, so if there is a 'pocket' of water trapped under the new blob of concrete, when the water freezes, the weakest point of the surroundings will give - and 99 times out of 100, that will be the concrete patch getting lifted out of the hole. Pouring water (or rain) over the surface won't trouble it, as long as it can't get underneath.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
    Aaah! the hole was still a bit damp right at the bottom before I filled it and I suspect the water from the natural spring a couple of feet up will seep underneath anyway - rain's expected all day tomorrow so that will be interesting!  Hopefully our new neighbours might be shamed into relaying both entrances as it was his heavy building lorries that made it much worse!