Forum home The potting shed

A peoples' manifesto for wildlife

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,825
    edited October 2018
    All media organisations will only report a story if they think it's going to generate interest. If there is no one who is even vaguely famous involved, then the next best option is to generate outrage. People with a perfectly legitimate and fair point of view can and are made to look like monsters, especially if they might be seen as 'middle class'. (just read a selection of the recent articles about the National Trust).

It's very easy to persuade people that there can never be a good reason to cut down a tree. In fact, you don't have to persuade them at all - it is taken as read that there is never a good reason to cut down a tree. The counter argument can be safely dismissed with airy wave of the 'Health and Safety Gone Mad' banner and no one asks anything more. 
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,956
    My major concern regarding the issues in Sheffield, is the totally one sided nature of all the discussions.
    One of the tree surgeons involved, does a lot of work for me, and he has received death threats, and has been assaulted.
    He is adamant, that any trees he has cut down: have either been diseased, or have been causing structural damage to the highway.
    Somewhere in my heart
    There is a star that shines for you
    Silver splits the blue
    Love will see it through
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,825
    Yeah, but he's an Expert. And nobody listens to them anymore
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,742
    It does sound like typical council corruption and laziness with the Sheffield case though. Too much done behind closed doors and mutterings about 'bunny huggers' getting in the way of progress again.

I'm working on a development at the moment and a couple of dead trees are causing a problem. Standing on site in the summer with the planners saying that the trees need to be cut back or removed and getting told that they need an arboricultural assessment first. Not a leaf on them, bark peeling off in great chunks and major limbs lying on the ground all around them. They've been dead for at least 10 years now so the site owners can't take any blame as they've only had the site for 3 years. If it was on council land they'd have been felled at the first sign of a heavy twig dropping with no assessment at all.

I guess the main point of the Manifesto is to organise some kind of overseeing body for ecology that will make sure the rules are equally applied. Like Natural England but not useless. Even if the Sheffield case was justified it would have had to have been approved by this new body first.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,956
    Sounds like a quango to me.
    Somewhere in my heart
    There is a star that shines for you
    Silver splits the blue
    Love will see it through
    punkdoc said:
    Sounds like a quango to me.
    Or a backdoor way of getting the Green Party a level of power in the country but either way the current system isn't doing its job so something needs to happen.
    It just goes to show that if you want to get the people on board you can't threaten their liberty when it comes to fluffy pets. :|
    Did anyone see the rather entitled letter published in GW magazine this month from the 'responsible dog owner'. Kind of proves my point above. For anyone who missed it the writer complains that the proposal to ban dogs from nature reserves is punishing responsible pet owners for the behaviour of a few irresponsible one. I'm not sure I agree and I definitely don't agree that dog owners are being contantly persecuted. The primary function of nature reserves is to provide sanctury for nature. While they also have a strong and vital role in education the recreational needs of people shouldn't be allowed to impact on the welfare of the natural systems being preserved in any way. At least not in my opinion. :| I quite like being able to visit nature reserves without having to watch where I'm walking all the time. However I do take my dog to some nature reserves and he stays on the lead and on the paths. I support several wildlife charities and if a charity says their nature reserve isn't suitable for dogs then I respect their assessment. It's rediculous to say that paying an annual membership fee to a wildlife charity gives you the right to treat nature reserves as your own personal playground.

The person also cites cats as having more impact on wildlife which is moving the goal posts of what they're complaining about. Cats are rarely found disturbing wildlife on nature reserves.
    The RSPB conduct predator culls based on science for the protection of endangered birds on their reserves. I understand the conflict but the reasoning behind it isn't exactly controversial to anyone with half a brain.  They'd be failing in their duty if they let species be wiped out without taking simple actions to protect them.

Backing for responsible pheasant shoots that create better wildlife habitats: You might as well say that the RSPB should oppose all farming, all housing developments, basically anything that isn't a natural process.

and some rants from Derek Cannings the convicted bird nest raider about how he was hard done by and definitely not a scumbag. 

I'm glad you didn't cite any of that rubbish that Ian Botham keep spouting in the Daily Mail though.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,273
    Interesting to see to see that Chris is with the RSPB after years of being at loggerheads over their stance on cats. Hopefully he will be able to get them take a firmer position on protecting birds. 
    I'd like to see the RSPB drop the B now and continue their work towards covering all of UK nature. I think they'd do just as much good work but would appeal to a wider range of people.