Forum home Problem solving

Strange mould on apple trees

Hi, I'm new to the forum and hoping for some advice. I have a white fungus or mould growing at the base of some apple trees. This is a new garden for me and I spent the spring and summer clearing weeds. The apple trres all fruited and seem to be in good health.
As I'm on a National Trust estate that's also a SSSI, can someone recommend an ecological solution? All dependant of course on knowing what it is.
Thanks.
PS its quite wispy and bits drift about on the breeze.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,492
    edited October 2018
    Hi and welcome :)

I'm not sure that I understand you ... is the mould actually on the trees themselves, or on bits of dead wood scattered around underneath the trees?

Mould and fungus are nature's way of rotting down organic matter and making the nutrients they contain available to the roots of other plants ... so if it's just dead bits of wood being rotted down by fungus that's exactly as it should be in a balanced and ecologically managed garden  :)

Another possibility if it's on the trees themselves is that it's woolly aphids ... long tailed tits usually sort that out on my trees.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi Dovefromabove. Thanks for the quick reply. The mould stuff is on the base of the trees quite close to the ground.
    If it us wooly aphids ( going to look that one up now) sadly I haven't had any long tailed tits in the garden. You would think they were in woodland like this! Perhaps it needs to be a bit colder before they are tempted in.
    I'm in south west Wales, near both lakes and the sea if that gives any other clues?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,492
    If you've got woodland my guess is that the longtailed tit families will be around during the winter  :)

To be honest, I really wouldn't worry much about mould/fungi appearing at this time of year ... the countryside and gardens are full of it doing it's thing just now.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for your help. The consensus seems to be to scrub them off with soapy water before they breed next spring. What a lovely job. I might just wait a little while in case a family of long tail tits do arrive looking for a free meal.