Forum home Problem solving

Is this mushroom poisonous?

Hi folks, we’ve had some small mushrooms in the lawn for a few months. Ignored them so far, but just spotted this bad boy against the fence. Id be grateful if anyone could asvise if its toxic, either to humans per pets. It doesnt look very friendly, but id appreciate some knowledge on this particular variety if anyone can help? Thanks in advance. 

Posts

  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,953
    Looks like one of the Ink Caps. If so then not poisonous, unless you eat it with alcohol. They only last a few hours before turning to slime and disappearing.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,551
    It' a stink horn. it stinks but is actually edible in the egg stage, I don't know why one would try it the "egg" is full of slime!
  • Thanks both. Definitely don’t fancy trying it, it looks like that eggs well and truly gone off!
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,972
    The Latin name for your mushroom is Phallus impudicus, which doesn’t require much knowledge of Latin to understand.

    There are several types of them. Here is a photo of a chap holding another one.


    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,385
    That is a bit of a sight for this early in the morning. I need another cup of coffee.
  •  :# 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,633
    Poisonous or not I'm not eating that :|
    Some people bring joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go. - Mark Twain.
Sign In or Register to comment.