Forum home Problem solving

Hi new member here with a question.

my parents think that there is an issue with a rowan tree in they're garden. It seems to have suddenly dropped all of its foliage including all berries within the last two weeks. It did seem healthy before hand and there seems to be no sign of any fungal or bug related issues. The twig ends are very easy to break but are still green so I am at a loss as to what the issue is.
Hope someone here can offer advice

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,361
    It's autumn so you would expect all the leaves to drop.  If berries are dropping too it suggests the fruit is withdrawing its energy from them too - not so usual - so maybe the tree has been stressed by drought this year?  Did it get watered thru the hot spells?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,862
    Hi @treemonkeyuk welcome to the forum  :) ! As obelixx says, it should lose leaves at this time of year - what makes them so concerned?  Have they moved in recently and this is a new garden to them, so they are not sure what to expect, or has it never done this before ? 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,553
    Mine’s dropped all it’s leaves. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,301
    Mine still has it's leaves but no berries this year!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,141
    Are the berries on the ground with the leaves ... or have the birds had them already?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi folks, the tree is about 19 years old and planted by me when my folks moved in. I've not seen it as I live in a different area but apparently it dropped everything within a couple weeks. It's always seemed healthy so I'm slightly confused as well. I know these trees can drop early but this seems a bit strange. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,862
    It could be due to the extreme weather we have had this year, I'm sure other forum members have had the same. I wouldn't be too concerned, if the twigs are still green as you say.
  • Yeah that is my thought, the summer has been so unusual. I'm a forester to trade and to be honest  not seen this before but I think the tree is still healthy. Just wanted outside help  Thankyou all  appreciate it 😁
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,188
    I think it could easily be weather related if there's no sign of any disease etc.
    If you can get a pic, that would help - just in case there's something else obvious we're not thinking of  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Yeah I won't be there for a couple weeks but I got my dad to check and there's no signs of fungus or mushrooms. Seems to be no other rot on the trunk or any signs of damage. But the branches do break very easily between fingers but still seem like green timber inside . When I'm through I'll check it over and get some pics if its showing anything.