Forum home The potting shed

Beechgrove query

AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,555
edited October 2018 in The potting shed
I have just watched the last in the present series of Beechgrove. When the team were stood in front of their fantastic " harvest festival", there was a shot of what looked like fruit, (a bit like a bunch of grapes, but more berry like, a beautiful pink/purple colour) in a basket in front of where George was standing. I am just curious as to what it was. I have looked at the factsheet, but although there is a slightly blurry photo, it doesn't say what they were. Can anyone help please ? They may not even be a fruit !

• AsarumAsarum Posts: 323
    I think it is a red sweetcorn.  Quite short fat cobs.
    East Anglia
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,054
    I was wondering exactly the same thing.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,555
    I think you're right @asarum, l have freeze framed it, and it looks like the cob covers (apologies for not knowing the technical term !) at the top of the basket. I have never seen anything like them before !
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    @AnniD it might be husks? I think if you mean the outer corn covers.
    We have red dried corn, I think it is just another variety of sweet corn,  it comes in a variety of red, white and yellow shades.
    edited October 2018
    Could be @Rubytoo, l'm afraid my knowledge of sweetcorn is very limited, apart from how to open the tin :blush:
    They were really striking.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,544
    Perhaps if you go back to earlier factsheets you'll see which varieties they've sown this year.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Good idea @Obelixx ! I will do that.  :)
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    @AnniD I love tinned it is always sweet and juicy. I will eat a whole small tin cold if not caught out shhh :D
    The red ones are in our birds food and a very pretty red. That is my limit on sweet corn knowledge tooblush