Forum home Plants

Help - I need to identify these trees

Hello, I'm looking for a wispy slender open canopy tree for a skinny space.

Having seen the type of tree I'd like, for the life of me I can't get a name for them.
Please, can someone hep me identify them?

• Pauline 7Pauline 7 Posts: 2,240
    Sorry I can't help you,  but, I think people would need a close up of the leaves to be able to identify it. 
    West Yorkshire
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,536
    Could the first one be a Ficus?
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Pauline 7 said:
    Sorry I can't help you,  but, I think people would need a close up of the leaves to be able to identify it. 
    Unfortunately these are taken from online, I’m not able to get closer pics.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks anyway
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,946
    Could the first one be a Ficus?
    That was my thought ... it's that sort of planting isn't it?     But that won't survive outside in the UK.

Presumably what @balfour.matt needs is something with that sort of growth habit but which can survive outside ... in the UK?

We'd need to know more about the proposed location ... soil, drainage, light, how much exposure to wind etc 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Could the first one be a Ficus?
    That was my thought ... it's that sort of planting isn't it?     But that won't survive outside in the UK.

Presumably what @balfour.matt needs is something with that sort of growth habit but which can survive outside ... in the UK?

We'd need to know more about the proposed location ... soil, drainage, light, how much exposure to wind etc 

Hi guys, thanks for the input. 
    I’m actually in Sydney Australia.

Well drained soil outside position, completely protected from the wind.
    Small amount of morning sun, otherwise low light.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,946
    Ah ... maybe @Pat E can help you ... she'll be more knowledgeable about the climate and possibilities ... 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Ah ... maybe @Pat E can help you ... she'll be more knowledgeable about the climate and possibilities ... 
    ok thanks.

Looks like most of the pictures I’ve seen, very commonly used in Japanese courtyards and internal gardens.
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 12,292
    Hi Balfour.matt. I’m finding the photos a bit hard to see well on my iPad. I’m familiar with your climate having lived there years ago, but I’m in the Snowy mountain area now. 
    Can you try to get a close up of leaves. 
    S. E. NSW
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 12,292
    Sorry, having now read back to the earlier posts, I realise you can’t get a better photo. 🤭

I agree that the first one does look like a Ficus. 
    S. E. NSW
  • Pat E said:
    Sorry, having now read back to the earlier posts, I realise you can’t get a better photo. 🤭

I agree that the first one does look like a Ficus. 
    I'm starting to think that could be the case also. I have a link here to my Pinterest page, here you can see more images that might help. 
    I guess if anyone can help suggest any type of tree that would give me the same look I'd be very grateful.
    https://pin.it/fz4bqvwbdijv7j