I saved a sparrowhawk last night!

Was walking home along a main road, when I saw a bird lying in the gutter, still breathing, but obviously in shock. Cars still whizzing past noisily. I picked it up and wrapped it in my coat, and walked it home, where a friend was able to drive it and me to a wildlife rescue centre. The poor little thing didn't struggle the whole time I held it wrapped in my coat, so was very worried the shock would be too much.

But, just phoned to check, and it's bright and perky and still alive, so all the signs are good!

Just wanted to share a heartwarming story.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,000
    Brilliant Anna.  :)
    Our beautiful birds of prey get a bad press sometimes. They are all part of our wondeful wildlife, and it never fails to thrill when seeing them in the flesh.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,648
    Fantastic Anna  :)  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,081
    Well done @Anna33!  So pleased the sparrow hawk survived all thanks to you.  :)
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,056
    well done :) 
  • pottiepampottiepam Posts: 203
    I'm afraid I deprived a sparrow   hawk of his dinner last week. I heard screeching in the garden and a sparrow hawk had caught green woodpecker and they landed just in front of me.  I shouted and they both flew off in different directions. Really, I suppose I should have left nature to take it's course.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,081
    @Pottie Pam I understand what you mean, but if we "left nature take its course" then we would never go see the doctor, never weed our gardens, never build river dams, never use the internet, etc.
    @Anna33 Good of you! You write "... a friend was able to drive it and me to a wildlife rescue centre". I just checked and found out that there are not that many such centres in France. The nearest ones are about 2 hours drive from my home, and not necessarily open 7 days a week.

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,305
    Nice. Makes one feel all " at one " with Mother Nature.
    Devon.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,946
    Beautiful birds. Saw one last week catching a pigeon that was as least 1.5 times bigger. Very efficient at disposing of it, just a few feathers left. (Apologies to those of a squeamish disposition ). 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,305

This one is a regular here.
    Devon.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,946
    Lovely photo @Hostafan1