Curious apple tree

annabelh1annabelh1 Posts: 5
edited October 2018 in Garden design

Hello,

I'm rather puzzled by our apple tree - my boyfriend said he bought it like this but it’s neither an espalier nor fan nor cordon as far as I can tell? 
It’s not grown much nor been very productive (perhaps because there are no apple trees nearby that I know of) and I’m not sure how to prune it... 

As you can see, the growth is also quite one-sided! It's in a sheltered sunny spot, in stony, free-draining soil that I've added compost and fertiliser too, I water and feed it too.... we only had 3 apples this year!

Could you offer any tips on pruning and pollination to try and save our little tree please?  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,542
    Think that's been trained as a Stepover tree

Image result for step over apple trees

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,298
    As Dove says, it’s a stepover tree. Be sure to keep the stems level and don’t let them grow upwards or it will be a leapover tree in a few years. 

For a tree of that size, three apples is about right. Next year you might have eight, the next year twenty. Apples are long-lived trees and they don’t like to be rushed.

Just tie the branches down level for now. Come back next June to find out the next installment of “How to Prune a Stepover Apple Tree”.😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Thank you! Yes I realise patience is a virtue...!

Ok, so I shouldn't prune it now?! Thank you :) 
    No, just train the tips of the branches down so both branches are level. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Great - thank you so much!! :) 

Looking forward to a photo of it covered with blossom in the spring  :)