Forum home Problem solving

Novice needs garden advice

Hello all!
I moved into my current rental in June 2018, it has a lovely garden going all the way around the house including all sorts of plants and spaces. Unfortunately I know nothing about gardening whatsoever!
I currently pay a gardener to mow the lawn and do some basic weeding but as for the rest I don't know what I should be doing for it now that winter is coming!
I've attached some photos of the overall garden and some of the plants, any advice about things I should be doing to keep them happy would be greatly appreciated!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    edited October 2018
    Well, you have a lot of different types of plants there and to describe what to do with each one of them would fill a small book.

However, there are two main types. There are twiggy, woody ones that are growing into bush shapes and there are leafy, softish ones that are growing from the ground as individual planty type bits.

The twiggy ones have flowered. So you can cut the flower heads off. Cut them back to a part of the twig where you can see a bud that points away from the centre of the plant. That way, the new growth will grow outwards and leave the centre of the bush clear.

The leafy jobs, they have flowered too, so you can cut all the leaves and flower stems of those down to about a foot off the ground. They will grow back from ground level in the spring.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,873
    The second pic is of raspberry canes.  Some produce fruit in summer, some in autumn ... if you tell us when yours produced fruit we can tell you how to prune them. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• kelsi0kelsi0 Posts: 5
    Thank you for your advice! I'll get started with all that, there's certainly enough to keep me busy!
    The raspberries were producing when I moved in back in June but they have continued to produce raspberries ever since! I've been drowning in them!! The gardener suggested they may be multiple types in there?
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,242
    Welcome to the forum !  :) You have a nice garden there, does the person who cuts the grass etc. know anything about what the plants are ? It's quite tricky to tell what they are from your general photos.If there are any you are particularly concerned about, you can post some close up photos and we will do our best to help. Also, if you have any neighbours who you can tell are keen gardeners, it's a fairly safe bet that they would be happy to advise - we gardeners tend to be a friendly bunch !
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,873
    re the raspberries ... put some stout gloves on ... you need to differentiate between the canes that had fruit on and any that didn't.  The ones that didn't should be a paler colour.

All the ones that bore fruit this year must be cut down to almost ground level.  Any remaining need to be tied to that framework so they don't blow about in the wind.  They will be summer fruiting canes.  

If you find you've cut them all down then they're probably autumn fruiting and you'll get lots of new canes next spring which will bear fruit in the late summer/autumn.

Does that sort of make sense?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Perfect! I will dig into all these jobs tomorrow afternoon and see how far I get. I was thinking of trying to identify and note what plants I have where while I'm at it. Thank you all for the advice!
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,133
    edited October 2018
    Hi there! I shouldn't worry too much about doing anything to your garden at the moment. It can all wait until february or march next year. Since you are renting and new to gardening, I expect you do not have any gardening tools at hand, or do you? Who looked after that garden before you? the previous renter(s)? the owner? a hired gardener?
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,024
    Your landlord is very lucky to have a tenant that is willing to look after their lovely garden, quite a lot of responsibility for a new gardener to take on! Is it worth contacting them and asking if they would be prepared to come and help you identify things and give you some tips? It would be in their interest after all. If you rented through an agent perhaps they could put you in touch? failing that, Anni’s suggestion of asking the gardening neighbours for help is a great idea.