Forum home Plants

Primula modules - plant now?

guttiesgutties Posts: 224
About a month or so ago I ordered primula denticulatas and candelabras (5cm modules from J Parker (https://www.jparkers.co.uk/6-primula-candelabra-1004219c)).  They arrived today.

I know they are bog plants; that is why I bought them! But I am wondering is it OK to plant them now as the ground where they will be going is really wet.
They seem to have a good root system, but wondered if planting them now when the ground is really wet, and will soon be cold, is the right thing to do?

When I say "wet ground" I mean that the ground squelches when you walk on it (heavy, wet clay).

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,904
    I'd keep them in pots in a cold frame on gravel and inspect regularly for molluscs ... little primulas are ideal winter fodder for them.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,424
    edited October 2018
    I don't think I'd plant out anything except a fast growing annual from a 5cm module.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,860
    It would be different if you had grown these yourself, and they were completely adapted to your conditions. Even then, as they're going into boggy ground, they'd be so vulnerable that it would still be advisable to wait. 
    Definitely leave them till spring  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • guttiesgutties Posts: 224
    OK, thanks.
    So the consensus is that I'll put a few of them into large pots and place in coldframe over winter
  • guttiesgutties Posts: 224
    Sorry, one last question.

I'm going to have to plant them in Multi Purpose compost (as I have nothing else to plant them in) to put them in pots in the coldframe.
    This is OK?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,904
    Can you find some garden soil to combine with the MPC 50:50?  You won’t need much. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.