Peris

My OH has just bought a Peris Polar to pot up for the doorstep - is this plant suitable for a partially shady doorstep that gets battered with the wind, is it hardy? Is it attractive to bees/butterflies? Apparently it is an evergreen shrub, but if anyone has got/had one how do they fare over the winter?

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,397
    Do you mean Pieris Polar GD?  If so, mine stands up to what the weather throws at at unless there's a frost when the leaves are red in the spring. The red leaves then turn brown.
    SW Scotland
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004
    They're pretty robust GD - although I don't know that particular variety. 
    The little white flowers are good for early visitors, but it's the foliage colour that they're mainly grown for, as Joyce describes :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Yes, you are right Joyce, it is a Pieris Polar Passion, so I should look forward to red foliage in the Spring - at present there are some red flower buds - I wasn't sure why he chose that plant - but I shall give the plant a nice pot and hope that the plant stands out well over the coming months whatever the weather has to throw at us, thanks Fairygirl and Joyce for your re-assurances. Pictures showing the blue and red themes on the doorstep displays
    Nice GD  :)
    They have quite leathery foliage, so they shrug off most weather. They seem fine in pots too. I inherited one here which was in a very bad location, so I dug it up and it languished in a trug for a very long time with no tlc at all. My nephew had just moved into  a new house and was creating a garden, and since it didn't fit my plans at that point, I gave it to him. It was growing away despite the neglect, and suffered no harm at all. Thriving well in it's new home too  :)
    It'll give a nice backdrop to your other planting, and should do well. I'm sure you know, but just make sure it has some soil in the pot too. A bark mulch is good for them. looks nice,  and stops them drying out - especially in the wind.  :)

• Thanks Fairy, good to know the Pieris will withstand most weathers.  It sounds ideal for our daughter's doorstep display, as it is very exposed to the wind and rain that winter will provide.  The label tells me the Pieris will flower in the Spring so let's hope for a nice display.
    The acer in the top picture has now gone to the compost heap - it didn't like the wind and so only lasted one season, as did the petunia, in fact the theme is red now and we should have some cyclamen to add to the display soon.  I will take some pictures when the transition has taken place.
    That's a shame about the acer GD. The winds can be harsh on them. Petunias are annual anyway, but hardy Cyclamen would be nice - I think they're lovely little plants. Dove sent me some a couple of years ago, and they've been really pretty this year, and one lot have seeded around in the path too.  :)

• Yes, Petunias don't appear to add any interest for the bees, but are colourful all the same and easy to find at all the G.C. My cyclamen never do very well after the first year - they are grown from corms, so well done for you having them freely seed in your garden.