Forum home Problem solving

What is this?

Is this grass like plant red polka ? If so when can you cut this back and what’s is proper Latin name ? Cheers guys 

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,286
    It looks like Carex pendula leaves to me.
    Are they tough hard to break leaves, or soft?

I only recently acquired a Kniphofia ( red hot poker to you haddow :) )
    Mine has soft leaves that slugs would be happy to munch.
    If the big ones are like my little variety they don't look like that.

• Oh thank you so much for helping me out appreciated I’m still young trying to learn everything haha
  • Fairly hard leaves not other the top I can’t remember how this flowers ?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,873
    edited October 2018
    I've always found Red Hot Pokers have rough edges (almost saw-like edges) to the leaves. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• So definitely carex pendula we saying guys ?
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,379
    The green leaves look like agapanthus, but I'm sure you'd know if it was that because the flowers are very distinctive, usually blue.  Montbretia / crocosmia is another possibility (usually orange flowers) but the leaves don't look quite right to me.
    Whatever it is, if you want to keep it you could pull out the dead leaves to tidy it up, but leave the green ones until they die back because they will be feeding the root/bulbs/corms/whatever, and building up the plant for next year.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,286
    haddow07 said:
    So definitely carex pendula we saying guys ?
    Not completely sure. But looking close up at the dried stems at the bottom of the photo you can see some longish sheath like bits?  Which look rather like old sheaths of the grass stems after Carex flowers. They flower from April onwards.
    As Jennyj said give it a tidy up.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,886
    If it is pendulous sedge you probably don't want it around as it seeds like crazy, everywhere, and can be hard to get out. It doesn't add very much to the garden either. I battle it as it pops up everywhere on my plot.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,542
    If this is Carex Pendula, I think you will normally see more of it around other areas in the garden. Looking at the soil it looks like an area that is either shady most of the day or the soil is heavy and damp most of the time. It could be Liriope Muscari. Neglected clumps can look like that, as last year's leaves have not been pulled out.