Forum home Plants

dahlia with no tubers ????

Kev121Kev121 Posts: 64
Hi
i bought a dahlia mystic wonder early in the season and started to get the tubers out to dry and put away for the winter,but there are no tubers just roots so I’m a little perplexed.
do some dahlias just have roots and no tubers or is it just a young plant that will make tubers...?
any advice please...
cheers kevin.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 10,121
    Some Dahlias do not readily form tubers.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • Hi Kevin,

I've had the same problem from one of the new dahlia cuttings I bought this year. The dahlias took a long time to get started this year, due to the heat and dry weather, and then we had an early frost, so I'm guessing the tubers didn't have a long enough growing season to develop properly. I have more new ones to dig up yet, so don't know what they're like. I'm going to cover them with dry compost as usual and fingers crossed they'll make it through the winter, but if anyone has any advice on this I'd be interested to hear.

Cheers

Chee

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    I've grown dahlias from seed.......the first year the plant has roots, by the second year they develop tubers
  • Do you winterize them the same way?
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 10,121
    You can't really winterize a Dahlia without a tuber, you would have to keep it in growth, in a warm, light place.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root