found in the compost heap...

Hi GWers,
i was turning my compost heap in the garden yesterday and came across what looked like two honey combs. As far as i know there aren't any hives locally and i definitely haven't added these to the compost myself.
Any thoughts?

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,180
    Old wasp's nests maybe? Don't you just love the symmetry? 
  • Thank you. It's amazing, just surprised to find it in the compost!
  • Are they waxy or papery?
    Think you might have a wasp's nest there. If so, a good thing you didn't try to turn the compost earlier, you might have got more than you bargained for!
  • I knew there had to be a good reason why i didn't get round (couldn't be bothered!) to do this before now!  :)
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,367
    I think it's a wasps' nest too.

I'd keep a bit to show to interested little people (it is a thing of beauty) and break the rest up to mix it into the compost heap.  

The presence of a nest suggests your compost heap may have been too dry. Compost needs a bit of moisture (but not sopping wet) to help the decomposition process. 
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • That's interesting... It's under a tree so is quite dry... i will water it, I have some rotted turfs and carpet i can put over the top too.... hopefully i will actually have some compost rather than the dry still twiggy stuff i have at the moment!
    Thanks all for your comments!
  • 100% Wasps! I've just had the same thing but not in my compost but in an old railway sleeper!

And the reason as you said yourself is because its dry and woody... apparently that is a wasps favorite condition for nesting.  
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,862
    Add a load of greens and mix.