Forum home The potting shed

My own private sanctuary

2»

• AndyDeanAndyDean Posts: 157
    Thanks Paul, loved reading about your copse while stuck in my gloomy office at work!
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,948
    Here is the tale of the duel in the garden.

The same edition of the paper lists quite a few other duels in Ireland and Scotland which were “amicably resolved” after one of the parties was shot but not killed.

Nice to see that “Queen Mab” was causing mayhem, too.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,184
    One of the places to give me the "heebie-jeevies" was Lincoln Cathedral - the hairs stood out on the back of my neck and I couldn't wait to get out. Not had that reaction to any other cathedral. Strange.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,984
    Excellent reads and thankyou all for your contributions !
    Fifteen-yards doesn't seem a great distance apart whilst being shot at ; pansyface , I really appreciate you posting the 'duel in the garden' paper .

An aetheistical poem?? That's laughable ; being one step beyond aetheism myself (anti-theist) , it beggars imagination that court rulings like that could possibly be taken seriously .
    Buttercupdays ; your old house sounds delightful ; maybe worth a few 'discomforts' sometime to avoid this banal and mundane world , if only temporarily .

Yes , I do love that old copse ; for obvious reasons and for the owners privacy I cannot digress any further details of it .
    Whilst still fit enough (that's a joke some days) , I intend to revisit the old place frequently during my working there ; it exudes a calming sense of well-being ,a palpable feel of times long passed by ,  and I class myself fortunate that I seem to have discovered 'My own private sanctuary' :)
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,598
    I have to spend time alone in spooky old buildings for work but I'm no believer in ghosts and things. Only once have I ever felt anything bad but it was in an old miners's cottage with a lot of history. I spent the whole time feeling like someone was aggressively following me around, hairs crawling on the back of my neck and constantly looking over my shoulder. I couldn't wait to get out of the place.

I've also felt completely the opposite in a tiny old farm cottage that had been used as a barn for many years. It had the most serene atmosphere every time I went there at any time of year. It felt like coming home despite being a knackered old barn. It even had it's own resident tawny owl that would peer at me from up in the rafters. I mentioned it to the owner and she was surprised because she felt the same thing. She'd often go and sit down there when she was feeling stressed.

I once had to survey a sub-cellar under a really old building in Bath. No stairs access or lighting and no one had been down there in a very long time. I had to go down on a ladder through a hole in the floor into the darkness like the start of any good horror movie. I didn't feel anything down there. The annoying thing was I measured it all up accurately and only found out later that the drawings were just for the licencing authority who were changing rules so that all areas of a shop had to be covered by their licence. I doubt anyone from the council would go down there to check my plans were correct so I could have just made it up and saved myself 2 days work :|
    Some people bring joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go. - Mark Twain.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,956
    Nice little story Paul.
    I'm like wild edges, I don't believe in ghosts and ghouls, but there's no doubt that some places and buildings have 'an atmosphere'. 
    When you enter a cathedral, for instance, especially those which contain the bodies of iconic figures in history, there's a certain feel to the place, even for atheists like myself.
    Outside spaces can be immensely moving too. I've experienced that many times on hills, and in glens, especially if there's a memorial to anyone who has lost their life. You don't need to know anything about them to feel an intense connection. This one under a tree in Glen Etive has a beautiful inscription:  ' I feel free I feel close to God and there are angels all around '

Glad you have a sanctuary, Paul. It sounds beautiful. It's something more people should seek out in this increasingly hellish, fast paced world we inhabit. Wild edges' owl story highlights that.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,598
    Fairygirl said:
     I've experienced that many times on hills, and in glens
    Last week I was sat in a high valley above Capel Curig, just me and the dog on a sunny rock by a stream in almost perfect silence. Not a breath of wind just the gentle murmer of the water. I wish I could have bottled that feeling for later use.
    Some people bring joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go. - Mark Twain.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,196
    We found one of those places up on Skye. Sat with the dogs and ate our lunch and really didn't want to go home.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,984
    Fairygirl
    Thanks for the picture of a locality in Glen Etive ; it's so nice I've temporarily set it as my screensaver( :)).
    From one atheist to another , thanks again .

PS Will be back for a short time in my copse next Wednesday ; am looking forward to it .
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,956
    That's very kind Paul. I have a lovely close up of the stone, but it's not something I would openly post, just because it's someone's memorial - it's for two people in fact. I'm sure people will understand.  :)
    I feel quite privileged to see these things, and, like that one, they are often beautiful pieces of workmanship. That one is by the Alt something or other [can't remember the name!] which you follow to the Munros further up. I've posted quite a lot of photos from the rocks there in the burn. It's perfect for a paddle and a bottle refill   :)
    w'edges - there's nothing quite like it, is there?  

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....