Forum home Problem solving

gardening project on the theme of pirates????

i've been given a project for a group with severe learning difficulties around gardening,
the problem is that they have NO outdoor space at all and they want the project to be on the theme of .........pirates!!!
i have absolutely no idea what to do with them, any thoughts?

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,731
    That's a big ask for you and the forum! Not sure if you want to grow things as not much will grow in pots this time of year.
    You could grow mustard and cress as hair in egg shells with a painted pirate face.
    Sorry can't think of anything else though

• Do the organisers also have learning diffs?
    Perhaps you could persuade them to make it about Vampires instead, it would be much easier - Dahlia 'Dracula', Bat plant, lots of things with 'blood' in their names...
    I did find this -
    and there is a daylily called 'Crimson Pirate'. You could probably find plant that reference the sea quite easily too, and there will be some 'treasures'.
    Perhaps 'buried treasure' is the way to go and plant some seeds? Something with 'gold' in the name would be good and there are lots of those :)

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    What is the age range of the group?
    SW Scotland
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,005
    edited October 2018
    Lets start at the begining.
    No outdoor space, so indoor pots it is.
    You say learning difficulties, I'm thinking then something that is easy and quick.
    Pirates.

How about a "desert island" in a half barrel? Small shallow pond in one side Sea monkeys maybe? sand, leading up to some plants on the "island" could also do small individual versions if that fits better.
    Could do one of those coconut palms you see in the supermarkets, yes it'll get too big, but it'll be dead before then probably. Could do the whole thing in half coconut shells using air plants..
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    Ooh arrrrr - I'll have to think about that..... ;)
    I take it a plank to walk is out of the question? 
    Appropriate plant names is certainly a good place to start. The pond /island in a container is a great idea. I'd use a plastic one though - wood could be a major issue indoors when it dries out. 
    Definitely sensory items - the coconut shells is a good example. Plants that like 'desert/tropical ' conditions, so the palms again, and maybe a few of those sundews and flycatchers which children love, depending on the ages and stages. Grasses - as long as it's not the ones that cut your hands open when you run your hand alsong the edges.

A container of sand for the actual buried treasure B'cupdays mentioned. They could just be acorns, shells [?] and pine cones and other little similar  bits and pieces which will stand up to lots of handling, with perhaps a proper little gold item of some kind. 
    Oh - and you have to wear an eye patch and a parrot on your shoulder when you're doing it.  That's the law  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,054
    edited October 2018
    Indoors in autumn heading towards winter - the scope is very limited.  I think K67's suggestion (or a variation on it) is good if you want to grow something.  You could use plastic pots, decorate as pirate faces - with suitable pens that will draw on plastic, and maybe some suitable stickers too, then grow cress or something else that will germinate quickly indoors as hair (on a light, warm windowsill).  Grass seed might work as an alternative if it gets enough heat and light, or something like alfalfa that can be grown as sprouts indoors (try germinating some yourself first, to avoid disappointment and get an idea of how long it takes).  Maybe get them to make pirate hats, eyepatches, bandanas etc for the "heads".  Of course it all depends on the ages and capabilities of the people who'll be taking part (and the budget - an indoor tropical/desert island garden would be lovely if there's enough light, but could cost £££).
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,286
    Impatiens nianniamensis (congolensis?), bit of a stretch it is called cockatoo or parrot plant. Pirates parrot. Easy care indoors plant, I used to have it many years ago. Just looked and a Cornwall nursery lists it, so there are still suppliers.
    Can't you get them to change their minds, feel for you figuring this one out. Good Luck.
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    they're 19 years old +, but mental age of about 4 to 5 yrs old, some are in wheelchairs and also have other physical difficulties, and i also have the problem of money to spend is quite limited (about £8 per session max)

i was lost for words when they came back with the theme of pirates, but i can't change it now, i'm thinking of doing a gardening bit and then a pirate themed craft session afterward
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    I think it's extremely difficult to come up with something - especially at this time of year, as has already been said. 
    I'd like to think whatever you do will be well received. Keep it simple, and good luck  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,005
    Large plates, or shallow bowls get them to all decorate their plates in a pirate theme, with paint and stick on shells perhaps, and then grow carrot top "palms" possibly a runner bean seed up a stick as a mast.. that kind of idea, I'm thinking that the attention span will not be long, and as others have said it's the wrong time of year for "real" permanent gardening.