Forum home The potting shed

New look digital magazine, what do you think?

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,593
    Our library service offers a free electronic magazines and books service for members which includes various garden magazines including GW. Worth checking if your local council has a similar service.
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 894
    WoW what a generous council. As I live in France it’s not an option for me, but would be a great service if it was available all over the UK. Perhaps a good way to entice people back to the libraries which seem to b suffering from under use and under funding in so many areas.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,366
    Ive been a subscriber for just short of a year, wasn’t planning on renewing it but  actually really like the new version. Its much clearer, an easily navigable layout with legible font. Most importantly for me, it doesn’t take an age to load or reload on my iPad, which was a real problem with the earlier, more magazine-like version. I also had to keep reinstalling the old ap every month as it kept asking me to pay for new editions even tho my subscription was still valid. I have intermittently very slow (weather related) satellite internet, so much so I haven’t posted on here for ages and had virtually given up trying to read the digi mag. But the weather is fine just now so I’m back online, fingers crossed...

Other big plus of the new version is there are no adverts!!

Big minus was that vomit-inducing, narcissistic contributer in the opening article. I really don’t want to know about your Christmas presents, cashmere socks or jollies in Canada - stick to the topic, which was PLANTS FOR AUTUMN COLOUR and you might impart something useful rather than waste precious column inches. You just can’t do cosy chat, made my skin crawl. Had to skip straight to Carol and breathe a sigh of relief at some intelligent, interesting writing. If only there were more contributors like her I would be more tempted to renew...
  • Greg20Greg20 Posts: 1
    edited November 2018
    I have been a digital subscriber for several years.   So far I’m not a fan of the new format.  I can find web pages of information anywhere on the net but when I read a magazine I enjoy seeing the small inserts on pages, the varied pictures and the different advertising.  
    My current thought is when my subscription expires that I may go back to a paper subscription or just not renew.  I have still not finished reading this current issue of Gardeners World but have already finished both the new editions of Kitchen Garden and Grow Your Own.

Maybe a suggestion to the publisher would be to have an option of which way a subscriber could download the magazine 1) as the old format and true magazine form or 2) as the new version.  My vote is still on the original format.  
    Just my  thought 

cheers 
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 894
    Greg i could not agree more. Since I started this thread I’ve gone back twice to the « magazine » and still not finished it, it just does not read like a magazine. The idea of settling down and flicking through the pages was much nicer than jumping from topic to topic and « scrolling » around. Pity my sub has only recently been renewed.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    I don't subscribe to any magazines digital or otherwise anymore, I just type into a search engine what I want to know and I get all the information I need, free quick and simple anything I think I will keep I just save in its appropriate folder.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 2,423
    I always prefer a paper mag, than a digital one. 
    I used to buy the gardener's world one but as @Hampshire Hog said after a year or so they just go over the same thing.
    It's the same with any mag if it's to do with the same subject.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,366
    Given the choice, I would have the paper version too, but postage was too expensive to Spain, hence the digital edition. The new version is definitely more user friendly for me, because of dodgy internet and works so much better in an iPad format. I think you do grow out of magazines in the end, they do get a bit repetitive as your knowledge grows but I’m not quite at that stage yet so I’m prepared to give it another whirl. 
  • I am a digital subscriber and hate the new version, so much so 
    I will not be renewing. The format is no longer a magazine format and is not easy to navigate. I would use the internet to browse myself rather than pay for this. Also had a problem getting my issues that were paid for?!
  • I think the new version is terrible, that is if you can download any pages as it seems the video content and pictures can’t download. I feel cheated after paying for one years subscription in August, then the content changing in October which I was unable to access for weeks.  Lots of emails between the web developer and iTunes and I’m still unable to download the whole magazine. I’m unable to get a refund as I purchased through iTunes which has a 3 month refund policy - that is if I could actually get a response!

just had December go live and again only able to see around 20% of magazine. Very poor in my opinion.