Plastic & Peter Nyssen bulbs - a bouquet!

GrannybeeGrannybee Sunny South EnglandPosts: 218
I took delivery of some bulbs from the Peter Nyssen company last week. The bulbs were packed in potato starch bags which are compostable. They  looked and felt like plastic and seemed quite strong. I was impressed! I wish other companies could do the same - perhaps even GW magazine might have a look!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,448
    edited October 2018
    The RHS has been experimenting with something like that for its magazine but it's not strong enough to cope with the automated sorting  or being transported and delivered yet.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,356
    The RSPB use fully compostable bags for their magazine now. They don't stick so much junk mail in as Gardener's World Magazine does though...
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,484
    I was impressed by Peter Nyssen using those bags for their bulbs. I put one of the smaller ones into my compost heap just to see what happens, but l think they need more "industrial" composting to decompose, as it says they can be put into council green waste collections. Well done to them for trying to make a difference.
  • gcom429gcom429 Posts: 1
    My Guardian newspaper bags claim they are 100% compostable. Does anyone know how long these starch-based bags take to compost down?
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 607
    It does make you think though, with people going hungry around the world, we are starting to use food crops for wrappers and fuel...surely not the answer to the plastics problem, just a short term win to take our mind off the problem. If a waste by-product is being used it's a bit more acceptable. But don't think biodegradable packaging is the solution, less packaging in the first place would make more sense. A complex problem that deserves a more nuanced response by the ones that actually commission the packaging, not just a material replacement. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow