Forum home Problem solving

Snails in the attic

I'm hoping someone might have some ideas. I have snails in my attic. This is a lived in space so really don't want them. I have not seen them but they leave the silver trail. Following that trail I put down salt along the skirting board. Did not help. I then widened the salt area. This helped. Still getting in but only as far as the extra salt. I can see snails getting into a ground floor but an attic?? Not sure what else to do. Nothing harmful as I have pets. Any ideas appreciated.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,629
    Probably slugs rather than snails as they can creep in through very small gaps. It's a good sign that you have damp somewhere though as they shouldn't survive indoors for long. I get some that come indoors stuck to the dog and seem to find shelter under house plant pots for a while. Tackle the damp and block up any gaps to the outside as a start.
  • Yes there may be a bit of damp up there. I will do that. I had no idea they could climb so far!
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    Do they have shells? Snails can climb a fair distance. Can you lift part of your carpet to see if there is any damp underneath.
    SW Scotland
  • No they don't have shells. I saw one last year. Think this is probably a damp problem in the building. The house is dry.  
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,999
    May I ask why you object so strongly to snails being in your attic?

They aren’t likely to munch through the wiring, as mice do, or burrow into the timbers, as woodworm do, or deposit piles of smelly poo, as bats do. 

Poor old snails, just looking for a quiet spot to spend the winter....
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Well like I said the attic is a lived in space.  It's not an attic for storing things.  I doubt most people would care much for snails invading there living space. I will happily direct them to your home for winter comfort if you like :) 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,999
    They would feel right at home. We had one join us for the ten o’clock news last night. It smooched right across the carpet. Didn’t half give the cats the heebie jeebies.😁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,905
    I have something living under the sofa that crawls out at night and leaves a slimy trail. We have had the sofa out and upside down to try and track it, but can't find it. I put a saucer of beer out, that works for outside slugs, but not this one. I have no idea where it is getting water from as the house is dry.  As there is no chance of hedgehogs or birds eating it, I am contemplating slug pellets.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3