Forum home Problem solving

Plants for damp patch bywall

Hi everyone, 
I m amateur gardener. In the front garden , by the wall, it’s pretty damp in winter. During summer we do get sunlight partially.
 I m looking for plants that brings brightness and can cover the wall. Preferably those that you plant once and flower year after year. Or any kind of FRUITs or vegetables that I can grow.

Thank you so much in advance. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    Hi kamalgeet, a few questions.  :)
    When you say damp, do you mean permanently damp, ie boggy, or do you mean it simply gets a lot of rain, or is the soil is a bit claggy and heavy - ie clay?                
    How big is the area you need to  plant?
    How high is the wall?
    When you say you want plants to cover the wall, are you looking for climbers as well or is it just perennials?
    if you can offer more info, it helps enormously with suggestions  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,991
    And are you in the UK?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Yes I am. Nearby Surrey. 
  • Fairygirl said:
    Hi kamalgeet, a few questions.  :)
    When you say damp, do you mean permanently damp, ie boggy, or do you mean it simply gets a lot of rain, or is the soil is a bit claggy and heavy - ie clay?                
    How big is the area you need to  plant?
    How high is the wall?
    When you say you want plants to cover the wall, are you looking for climbers as well or is it just perennials?
    if you can offer more info, it helps enormously with suggestions  :)
    It gets light in summer but partial full sun, which is 50%of all sunny day. Soil is a bit claggy. Chaucen palm has survived there in last 10 years. The height of wall is arm’slength. Length of the area is 60 inches. I can go for climbers (except ivy) , fruits vegetables. Previously red robin have thrived in the same spot. 
    We relocated a palm tree in the same spot but it didn’t like it there. Hope this info helps .
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    By arm's length - I presume about 2.5 to 3 feet then? Maybe not so good for a climber, but many shrubs and tall perennials will disguise it, if that's what you want  :)
    I've just nipped out to take a pic of part of a border under my front window, which is north west facing, so only gets sun later in the day, and none from about Nov till March as it's too low in the sky. You don't say how deep the bed is, but this one is triangular - about five feet deep at that end to almost nothing at the other.  It's clay which never dries out, so the planting here might suit, with some variations  :)

The hydrangea could be changed for  a pink or blue type - I only have white ones, and this is also the oak leaf type which has beautiful autumn colour on the foliage, but there are other whites to choose from too. The sedums grow very happily there - despite it being ' all wrong' for them according to the rule book  ;) To the right is a stand of Actea-  it has dark foliage all year round, provides a height contrast, and has late spires of flowers, white with a hint of pink. They're slightly later this year. There's also foxgloves [you can see all the seedling foliage bottom right] and Heucheras- again with dark foliage to pick up the theme of dark reds, whites and very pale pink. Further along is geranium biokovo -which provides very good ground cover, very pale pink/white flowers, and there's a white potentilla and other low growing stuff further along too, which I'm still planting, as it's a new extension to the area. There's loads of spring bulbs in there too.

If you want more colour, most of those have varieties with brighter flowers, apart from the Actea and Heuchera, but heucheras come in loads of different foliage colours. Bees and butterflies love the flowers on all the plants too.
    I do very little to the border at any time of year, so it's very low maintenance  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....