What to do with apple pulp

Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 336
Hi, we are making cider again after a bumper apple crop this year, which leaves us with a lot of apple pulp. I have put some on the compost heap but wonder whether, if I put it all on, it will adversely affect the resulting compost.
Our garden is big enough that we have dumped random piles of it in rough ground where it can rot down undisturbed but I thought it worth asking the collective wisdom of the forum for thoughts.
Will it be ok to compost the lot and should I mix alternate layers with something else, if so what? Or are there other things we can use it for? 
All thoughts welcome
Thanks

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,305
    Mix it in with dry leaves and grass clippings or other green waste and it should be fine. I added loads after making cider and added a lot of brown cardboard in with it and didn't notice any problems. If it isn't well mixed you get sludgy patches but just mix more brown stuff in if you do. Just be prepared to turn the heap a few times.

One year I did give several loads to a local farmer for his pigs but he's since moved away. I used to give him loads of veg peeling and offcuts in the hope of getting some free bacon but he didn't take the hint :D
  • Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 336
    I wondered whether pigs might like it but there aren't any near here, though there are sheep in the field across the road - they are our morning entertainment when sitting in bed with a cuppa, fascinating to watch. But I digress...
    We have voles living in the compost now, they tend to move in at this time of year so I cut down on the turning of the heap to avoid squishing or impaling one  :o 
    I guess I will be ok to layer then and see how it goes 
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 655
    My mother used to trench compost it, so dig a trench wherever you want the compost next year and drop it in, if it's pure apple pulp probably not more than 8inches depth of pulp or so. cover the trench over and plant as normal in the spring.
  • Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 336
    Skandi said:
    My mother used to trench compost it, so dig a trench wherever you want the compost next year and drop it in, if it's pure apple pulp probably not more than 8inches depth of pulp or so. cover the trench over and plant as normal in the spring.
    So essentially use it to prep a place I want to plant something next year, using the pulp as a winter soil improver? Could I do this on the veg patch?
  • BLTBLT Posts: 525
    The pugs would adore it, imaginetheir own internal supply of apple sauce..
    BLT said:
    The pugs would adore it, imaginetheir own internal supply of apple sauce..
    Do you mean slugs......?  :/ 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,892
    I think BLT means PIGS not pugs.   pork with apple sauce.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    I think BLT means PIGS not pugs.   pork with apple sauce.
    Ah, now that makes much more sense!
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 655
    Skandi said:
    So essentially use it to prep a place I want to plant something next year, using the pulp as a winter soil improver? Could I do this on the veg patch?
    Yes it's traditional under runner beans but it works on everything I have tried it with. just bury it deep enough  that you don't run into any that may be left when you rake/hoe the soil in spring.
    Well I'll give it a go then. Thanks for the tip!