Forum home Problem solving

Hedge issues..

Hi Everyone, I have just moved into a new house and have a garden! HOORAY! However the tall hedge at the front of the house is very sad and neglected. It is essentially just twigs inside with little green leaves on the outside. It was covered in Ivy which we have cleared a lot of to let some air in but this has now left us with a bald hedge with green round the outside. Do I prune it back and hope that it starts to sprout inside? I don't know what kind of plant the hedge is it is - has clearly flowered at some point.
Thank you for any wisdom

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,513
    I think it may be one of the escallonias which are often planted as hedges.  Have a look here for care advice from the RHS - https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/6861/Escallonia-rubra/Details 

I think you can safely cut it back now to make it tidier and more shapely and then, after making sure the base is thoroughly weeded and damp from rain or watering, fork in some bonemeal and apply a mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure.  Don't mulch dry soil.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    if you take the top 8-10 inches off now it'll let light, air and water into the base over winter, this will trigger buds to start growing in the spring on what looks like dead wood at the base, then in spring you can take one side back hard and it will regrow by autumn then you take the other side off next year
  • Brilliant. Thank you both. I was reluctant to cut anything off as taking off the top will literally remove all the leaf but if thats what needs to be done then that is what I shall do. A bald twig hedge for now will hopefully make for a happier greener hedge in the spring...