Forum home Plants

What sort of Acer is this?

This Acer was planted about four years ago.  I was given it by Larch Cottage Nurseries, to commemorate my being the thousandth customer I think- not sure whether that week, month, or what!  If it had an ID tag, it's long since lost!
I planted in under cotoneaster trees, and it's grown very slowly, and is now about 4' x4', but I'm thinking of moving it, to a north facing border area behind a 2 1/2 ft wall, where it's bottom half will be in shade, but top half in Sun, so an ID would help with this decision.
can anyone help?

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,328
    I feel I'm stating the obvious but if that was mine, I would be phoning Larch Cottage and ask them what Acer they sent out 4 years ago, if they still have it on record.  It's a family nursery, so the owners there would likely know what they had in stock then..

I strongly doubt anyone on an internet forum would be able to help you identify an Acer from that photo..  I do hope you manage to find out in due course... very best wishes...
  • Thanks Marlorena, I thought of that just after I posted it! I'll email them a pic!
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,681
    edited October 2018
    How super to receive an Acer FOC.
    A basic answer is Acer palmatum.
    Whether it is a named cultivar is impossible to say.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Thanks Silver Surfer, the nursery have just replied to say Acer Palmatum, and they suggest it will eventually get to about 15' high.  I'd hoped they might have a record of the variety, but never mind, I think I'll just plant it and see how it does!
  • The chances are that it is not a named cultivar but a seed grown Acer palmatum.

If it was a special cultivar it would be grafted.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • jamesharcourtjamesharcourt West SussexPosts: 465
    Hi, it could be a few ... but if I was taking a bet I'd go for Acer Sango-Kaku.  But there are various others it could easily be.
    edited October 2018
    The leaves Super Gardener has posted are palmate but rather simple.
    Acer Sango Kaku leaves are  7 lobed  not 5 and are quite fancy.
    See pics below of Acer Sango Kaku leaves in spring..

Acer palmatum Sango Kaku is a fantastic Acer.
    Common name Coral bark Acer.
    Easily recognized by red branches....we do not even see any branches!

So no idea how you reach that conclusion.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB785GB785&biw=1920&bih=938&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=p33TW4WeNI-00gWx-bmoBQ&q=acer+palmatum+sango+kaku&oq=Acer++palmatum+Sango-Kaku.&gs_l=img.1.0.0i30k1l3j0i5i30k1j0i30k1.11383.15211.0.16896.10.10.0.0.0.0.95.743.10.10.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.10.740...0i7i30k1.0.a9UuVu8gMFE

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • jamesharcourtjamesharcourt West SussexPosts: 465
    Yes @Silver surfer you’re absolutely correct ... I was taking a wild pun due to the pink stems and leaf edges comparing to mine.  I actually have a 5 lobed leafed variety that was left to me that looks similar, but I don’t know the variety.  Here’s a pic of a partly grown leaf in early spring, when fully open the shape is similar to the OP:

edited October 2018
    Jamesharcourt....There are over 2,000 named Acer palmatum cultivars.
    Even the real experts struggle to id them.
    It involves leaf shape, leaf size,  colour in spring,summer, growth habit, growth rate, bark etc etc
    Acers are wonderful.
    I love them.
    We used to grow nearly 250 different sp and named Acer trees.
    Yet very very rarely do I even attempt to say which one it might be from a single pic showing just a couple of leaves.
    Your one is Acer palmatum dissectum...a cut leaf Acer.
    It may be seed grown and have no cultivar name.
    If it is grafted it may be a named cultivar...but which one I am sorry but I haven't got a clue.
    it is clearly very different from the one posted by Super Gardener or Acer  palmatum Sango Kaku.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .