Myxamytosis affecting Hares

Hear a very brief report on this on radio a few days ago.  Anyone heard anything ?

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,299
    Apparently there has been a spike in reports of hares found dead in the Suffolk area. I don't think it's been confirmed yet what the cause is but there have been cases in other countries of myxamytosis jumping species that have only recently been confirmed. There's also concerns that the rabbit haemorrhagic disease could form a new strain that could affect hares. The outlook for rabbits is very dire at the moment so I really hope hares aren't going the same way. The wider effects on ecology as a whole will be severe if both have a drastic population decline.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,414
    Very worried up http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/mystery-disease-hare-deaths-east-anglia-1-5732546

We love hares ... brother has lots on his farm ... he's found leverets in their forms very close to his house ... we're keeping our eyes open and crossing our fingers crossed
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks both.  Now you mention E Anglia that would be it.
    My fingers crossed for your brother's population too Dove.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,374
    It's myxomatosis actually. I still clearly remember that terrible disease affecting our pet rabbits when I was a child... and we had to kill the whole lot off. Not a pretty sight.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Thank you for the correction Papi Jo. O or A I doubt whether robbit  or hore are too worried about that particular aspect ;)
    I too recall putting wild rabbits out of their misery many years ago.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,414
    Our post lady used to carry a mallet in her bicycle basket for despatching any myxie rabbits she came across on her travels.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• From what I've read about this the disease affecting hares might be something other than myxi, though nothing proven as yet. 

It's less likely to affect hares because it's usually spread by fleas (though mosquitos can do it too) and since rabbits live in groups and have direct contact with others in the burrows, that's how the fleas can jump from one rabbit to another.  It's a bit less likely to be spread by mosquitos as far as rabbits are concerned, though more likely with hares I suppose.

There have been several outbreaks of myxi here over the past few years and many of the rabbits do seem to survive though the effects can clearly be seen by inflammation and redness around their eyes.  I think that the hot and dry summer has had an effect on the local rabbit population as I now have none in the garden, though in the past there were three or four on the lawn during the daytime.  Could dehydration have had anything to do with that?

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,299

From what I've read about this the disease affecting hares might be something other than myxi, though nothing proven as yet. 

It's confusing. Some sources are saying it's been confirmed as myxie (I won't try and spell it again :blush: ) but BBC Wildlife magazine reported in an article in September that the 2nd mutation of the rabbit haemorrhagic disease had been confirmed as affecting hares. I can't find a definite medical confirmation for either though.

We lost 2 pet rabbits in quick succession this time last year after finding a ferret in the garden. I've always suspected it might have transferred RHD to them via fleas or similar. :/
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,359
    The trouble with the two haemorrhagic diseases is that it is passed by any vector. Rabbit, fleas, mosquitoes, but also human clothes , rabbit bedding even possibly food (especially wild food) and any wild animal or bird.  It is a MUCH bigger danger than myxi and also widespread across UK. Every rabbit in the country needs vaccinating.  Myxi in Hares would be terrible as they have never had it before so will have no immunity at all. Both are in grave danger this year.
  • If you were to see the damage the rabbits have caused in my garden over the years, you might understand why I wouldn't be pro-vaccination!  They have destroyed lots of plants, dug holes & latrines in the lawns and shrub beds, eaten plants in pots (have watched them stand on tip-toe to reach them!) and generally made a total mess of things.  I would like some kind of natural "balance" but the only deterrent which worked for me was my two semi-feral cats, now - sadly - deceased.