Forum home Problem solving

Acer

Acers are looking beautiful this time of year with very vibrant colours, all that is except mine which is looking very sorry for its self. Its about 5 years old and in a large pot. I've been feeding it  with a multi plant fertilizer, weekly all summer . Its now lost most of its leaves

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    edited October 2018
    Mine has lost all it's leaves too. It's that time of year and it's been quite windy.
    SW Scotland
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    I was enjoying my Acer in a pot until Storm Callum barrelled through and stripped it of its leaves. I have placed it in the most sheltered spot I can find in my exposed garden. I am sure your Acer will recover, as I hope mine will.
    SW Scotland
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,970
    I can see the start of next year’s leaf buds - so keep in a sheltered spot and maybe raise on ‘feet’ to allow drainage and it should be back in Spring. You don’t need to feed it that often - a few times over Spring and Summer with a slow release feed is just fine. 
    Fingers crossed it thrives, as it looks a pretty one. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Acers are deciduous. It just looks as if yours has gone into shutdown rather early. In Japan they call it 'monsoon damp". The combination of high wind and heavy rain is not good for them. Don't do anything, especially not water.
  • thank you all for your replies, I take on board all your advice
  • jamesharcourtjamesharcourt West SussexPosts: 462
    I don't think it's necessarily a problem.  A couple of mine have dropped leaves but have been healthy through the year.  Strong winds as people have said, don't help matters.  

Not sure what fertilizer you're using but I strongly recommend seaweed fertilizer ... I use MaxiCrop for new transplants in the ground and pot fertilizing every two weeks ... it has a definite positive effect.  

Once the leaves are all off, aim to not water at all until spring ... unless it very visibly dries out.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    I think the overfeeding doesn't help Wendy. It tends to promote too much softer growth in any plant, which isn't then as strong as it might be. 
    It'll be fine though - all the above advice is sound. Make sure it has a bit of soil removed and refreshed each year, and not with just compost. Potted plants can often lack a bit of air around the roots too, especially if they've been in the same pot for a long time. It needs to be a soil based medium if it's potted long term. They like plenty of water, but that doesn;t mean they like being waterlogged, so drainage is important.
    Keep it sheltered when there's strong winds, especially if it's in an exposed spot open to the prevailing wind. Ideally find it a spot where it has that protection all the time. I know that can often be tricky if you want it in a place you can get the best view though.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....