Blossom!!

This morning I noticed that my apple tree has blossom open. Is this happening all over the country? I live in Cumbria, not the warm south!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,412
    It's happening in Japan too.   A feature of the weather this year.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,606
    You're not the first to say this has happened this autumn ... I think it's a response to the change from heat and drought, which put a lot of plants into a sort of torpor much as winter does.  The change in temperature plus rain seems to have woken them up and they're responding as if it's spring.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,606
    I think that winter should reset the trees' rhythm and they'll produce blossom again in the spring ... maybe give them a good feed when they're waking up from the winter? 

I don't think there's any need to remove the blossom now.  The weather is getting colder and I doubt if they'll set fruit. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you for your replies. It's good to know we're not alone and with luck the apple blossom next year won't be affected.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,790
    My yellow crocus are sending up shoots already!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,102
    They'll sort themselves out as time goes on m.penguin. Plants are a bit topsy turvy this year in lots of ways. 
    I've noticed a few things which have been 'out of season' a little bit too :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....