Forum home Problem solving

Magnolia leaves turning black around the edges

Hello all,

My magnolia tree - which is relatively small - has its leaves starting to turn black and crispy.

I’ve posted a photo below. 

Presumably this isn’t normal at this time of year? If anyone has any suggestions I’d really appreciate it.

thanks,
Ian

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    its autumn and Magnolia's are deciduous, its preparing to drop its leaves for winter.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    I'm wondering if that's down to dehydration during the hot summer. Many plants have struggled and have shut down a little earlier because they're trying to save themselves a bit, although it also depends where you live. Here, lots of shrubs and trees are already pretty bare or completely bare  :)
    Also, any water on the foliage in hot sun can cause a wee bit of damage now and again, although there is some debate about that.
    It looks as if it's in a very crowded spot too, which means there's a lot of competition for water, as well as nutrients. They need a lot of moisture to do well - they're big shrubs.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,393
    I too would say the Magnolia is crowded especially as it is a tree really.  Mine is 8 foot by 8 foot, and in that small corner I don't think it has enough room to grow. Could it be moved to a wider space @theianbatten ?
  • LTobyLToby Posts: 177
    edited October 2018
    For now, i will leave it to go dormant and see how it will look in the Spring. Most likely, it is going through the transition to a colder temperature during Autumn. While it is still a small plant, during the Spring you may like to remove the leggy branches to trigger new branches that will form a better shape and balance the energy of the plant. 
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
    I have a young magnolia planted this season. It's currently dropping leaves. You may wish to water it, if the location is dry, but otherwise, i would not worry
  • The leaves on my evergreen Magnolia are turning yellow. What should I do? It is a Magnolia Fairy Cream "MicJur02" (PBR). Our soli is neutral.