Forum home The potting shed

Warm feel COVERS for duvet.

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,176
    stop it, got up this morning to the first (air) frost and 1.1d, no heatin on, was way too hot in the night, 4 tog duvet, Hubby said are you sure there IS a duvet in here, not just a cover, mind you, SE UK, probably colder in Denmark, but arent the houses better insulated, bearing in mind how ho I was, most of the night outside the duvet, was amazed to discover heating had gone on at 16d
    Actually we've not even had a frost yet.. I still have tomatoes and courgettes out in the garden! It will get down to -15 for a bit every winter where I am, Bedroom was 12C last night outside it was about 5. No heating yet this year, and there never is any heating at night, I live in a 1887 house with no foundation (read damp)  and wood fired heating that needs feeding every hour. So no heating at night. Every exterior wall is clad in polystyrene under wood paneling (glad it's a bungalow a fire would be "interesting") The insulation in the attic consists of old carpets, clothes and anything previous owners have found to throw up there. the ceilings are only 1.8m high so no heat loss there at least! Last year the living room hit 3C after we were away for a couple of days at -10C .  So warm duvets socks,slipper etc are a must, oh and emptying the freezer part of the fridge freezer.. they don't work under ca. 10C!
    It is possible to heat the house, mother inlaw had the entire thing at over 25C when she house sat for a weekend, but she burnt a months worth of wood to do so! We normally only bother to heat the house so that the living room hits around 10, and the back computer room is at about 18C two gaming computers, two humans, two dogs and a cat keep it close to that even without heating, and when the lights get turned on for seedlings in late Feb it can get too hot!
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,508
    Gosh, Skandi! I would be cold. I like it about 21°. I have an old French stone farmhouse, built on rock and heating is expensive but we have wood burners in the rooms we use that make a lot of difference. I live in a forest, part of which belongs to me so that is the wood we use. Chap cuts it in exchange for some for him.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Nollie said:
    Good Egyptian cotton bedding (no brushing or flaneletting involved),13.5 tog duvet and an electric blanket for me. My EB has a ‘time for bed’ setting that you put on when you go up, by the time you’ve used the bathroom its warm and cosy. 
    That's a good arrangement Nollie. EB to warm the bed, and when it goes off the duvet keeps you warm through the night. 

If it gets so cold that you are having to keep the EB on through the night as well as the duvet, you may want to consider setting a lad on.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 4,871

If it gets so cold that you are having to keep the EB on through the night as well as the duvet, you may want to consider setting a lad on.
    Eh? Or a lass, perhaps, depending on your preference. My four-legged lad Bill is a good heat generator, loves a cuddle, but his breath is a bit whiffy  :D
  • Ah yes, dogs can be a good source of "free" heat around the feet. 
    But I’m still intrigued to know exactly what ‘setting a lad on’ entails, young codger...my overactive imagination has come up with all sorts of scenarios...
  • I thought you was female, but obviously not. In which case get a young woman in-the scenarios you have come up with will be most helpful.
    Funny how we make assumptions about people’s gender, elective or otherwise, can be a minefield these days...
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,319
    I suppose, eventually, enquiring about a person's gender will be as much bad form as asking their religion.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • In the context of conversation, and depending what that conversation is about, it can at times be essential to know whether the other person is male or female.