Forum home The potting shed

Warm feel COVERS for duvet.

I have 3 duvet covers bought many years ago. Two of them are cold to the touch, so are ok for spring/summer.

I have another cover that has a warm feel to it, which is good for winter but I don't know what material any of them are made from.

Does anyone know what material warm feel covers are made from, as I want to buy another?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,512
    All sorts from pure silk if you're very luxurious, to pure cotton or poly/cotton mxes.  Is there no label inside?  

We just use pure cotton whatever the season and change from just the cover to a 4.5tog duvet or a 9tog depending on season.  It's the duvet itself that warms you up.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 190
    probably flannelette, which is a brushed cotton
  • Rose121Rose121 Posts: 132
    Yep, brushed cotton is always super snug. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,512
    Haven't had flanelette since the mid 60s when we moved to a house with CH.  Hated flanelette, even with pyjamas or a nightie.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 11,531
    What about brushed nylon? If you didn't get an electric shock or slide ignominiously off the side of the bed or get your your toenails snagged, you had a warm in the summer/ cold in winter nights sleep.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    edited October 2018
    B3 said:
    What about brushed nylon? If you didn't get an electric shock or slide ignominiously off the side of the bed or get your your toenails snagged, you had a warm in the summer/ cold in winter nights sleep.
    Stop it! i am crying with laughter here. My dear mother thought they were good idea at one point. And also bought me a nightie of the same material. It would stick to the sheets like ruddy velcro, what with that and static build up I am not sure how I survived.
    Was it any wonder I went to school with frizzly hair like Crystal Tips.
    How she managed to dry it all in the Flatley without it setting on fire too I do not know, as that thing was lethal  :D
    Sorry @young codger  I was scarred for life .
    Sure hope you find some nice natural fibre or Cotton alternative.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,335
    B3 said:

:D
    My [now ex] hubby and I stayed at a B&B in the Lakes, when we were first going out. Let's just say - we were too scared to 'do' anything, in case we set each other on fire  :D

I like a bit of brushed cotton bedding. Most supermarkets have it too. Always have a flanellette sheet.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 11,531
    We stayed in a hotel once; the bed was smaller than we were used to. We both rolled away from each other and slid off the bed at the same time. The sheets were yellow shiny for summer nylon and the floor was olde worlde bare wood. If it hadn't been for the alcoholic anaesthetic, we could have been seriously injured.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,998
    Oh B3 am loving it, was going to say wincyette (that maybe dates me!) Me I want to keep on the 4 tog, and NO heat thanks!!  Anyone ant to borrow me as a human hot water bottle, reasonable rates!   God, I remember in the 70 nylon sheets and shirts, yuck, they were soft, Brentford Nylons.